I got my EAD/GC, now what ?

Folks,

This is a general topic that I am starting here. These days, with the priority dates becoming current (for some categories) more sooner than ever, one question popups in my mind.

I want to get general opinion on what people do most immediately after receiving their EAD/GC

1. Do you immediately switch jobs ?

2. Do you immediately start spending money in real estate/other investment ?

or

3. Do you continue living the same way you used to when you were on H1B (or any other visa situation that brought you to the US)

I want to know to what extent does receiving a GC change your life.

Awaiting replies

~C

1. green card relieves you the botheration of getting visa renewals etc. It is a permanent legal status of residency. After 5 yrs , you can apply for citizenship also; then yu will have voting rights .However you have to forego your citizen ship of the country from where you had intially migrated.

You can invest/purchase property if you are in H1B also.This is my view.

Folks,

This is a general topic that I am starting here. These days, with the priority dates becoming current (for some categories) more sooner than ever, one question popups in my mind.

I want to get general opinion on what people do most immediately after receiving their EAD/GC

1. Do you immediately switch jobs ?

2. Do you immediately start spending money in real estate/other investment ?

or

3. Do you continue living the same way you used to when you were on H1B (or any other visa situation that brought you to the US)

I want to know to what extent does receiving a GC change your life.

Awaiting replies

~C

1. If your GC was approved based on employment, Immediately switching jobs could be considered "fraud" for the simple fact that your GC petition was filed based on long term employment needs of the company. It can also lead to problems when you apply for your citizenship.

2. Getting a GC itself is not a good reason to invest. You could have also invested (passive investor) while on H-1B.

3. Way of living is one's own personal choice.

Although a green card reflects your "permanent residence" in the United States, a green card can indeed be revoked if the holder commits certain crimes. Follow the law.

Archived