Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I just extended my I-94 at the Nogales, AZ border. This border location will be closer for the folks in Arizona. It appears that not many people visit this border for new I-94 after passport renewal, so, the officer had some questions, but nevertheless, the process was simple and smooth.

Reached the border and parked my car near the UETA shop. From the parking location, it was a 5 minute walk to the Pedestrian Port of Entry. Entering into Mexico was super easy but there was a long line to re-enter the US as it is a Saturday. I was able to get the new card within an hour from the time I met the CBP officer.

Nogales is a 3 hour drive from Phoenix.

Thanks!

Thanks friends for keeping this forum so useful.

Today i got my new I-94 (paper) at San Ysidro border.

I followed the steps exactly mentioned in above chain.

Whole process took me less than an hour...yes less than an hour.

Cheers !!!

Hy Ramya,

Please tell me if you need a Mexican visa to cross over to Mexico . Awaiting your response . Thanks in advance .

Hi Guys,

I just extended my I-94 at the Nogales, AZ border. This border location will be closer for the folks in Arizona. It appears that not many people visit this border for new I-94 after passport renewal, so, the officer had some questions, but nevertheless, the process was simple and smooth.

Reached the border and parked my car near the UETA shop. From the parking location, it was a 5 minute walk to the Pedestrian Port of Entry. Entering into Mexico was super easy but there was a long line to re-enter the US as it is a Saturday. I was able to get the new card within an hour from the time I met the CBP officer.

Nogales is a 3 hour drive from Phoenix.

Thanks!

Hy Phxchmdu,

Please tell if you required a Mexican visa to cross over to Mexico . Awaiting your response . Thanks in advance .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to travel to mexico border to get new I94 for my son. His existing I94 is expired now. Folks at my company applied for i94 extension but that did not get approved as MY L1A was denied.

So any one travelling to Mexico border in this first week of october 2014.

Will I face any issue at CBP as my son overstayed ~3 months after i94 expiry date? He has valid L2B visa tll April 2015.

Also I will be travelling to India in November END as I need H1B stamping and COS from L1B to H1B there. I am worried for his extended stay in US.

Please help and suggest.

parag.saxena@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

I need to travel to mexico border to get new I94 for my son. His existing I94 is expired now. Folks at my company applied for i94 extension but that did not get approved as MY L1A was denied.

So any one travelling to Mexico border in this first week of october 2014.

Will I face any issue at CBP as my son overstayed ~3 months after i94 expiry date? He has valid L2B visa tll April 2015.

Also I will be travelling to India in November END as I need H1B stamping and COS from L1B to H1B there. I am worried for his extended stay in US.

Please help and suggest.

parag.saxena@gmail.com

Update on my case-

I travel to San-Diego last week with my son, entered to Mexico from San-Yasidro border and re-enter to USA.

There were three different gates to enter- one for Regular Entry and another Sentri pass entry.

I stood in que and on my turn whent inside those gates.

First obtained new I94 for my son, todo that-

> There is a building on the right side after entering inside gates.

> Entered in that building, paid the money $6 to cashier, then an officer called us.

>They did not ask much. I just said my son passport was expired and now he got new. There is Valid visa stamp on his passport.

> They issued entry stamp on passport and on new I94 with valid dates matching with VISA expiry.

> My I94 was intact as it has valid expiry date.

Came outisde the building and continue to main passage to CBP officer, on my turn they saw our I94 and visa stamp and let us entered inside US. No question asked.

Thats all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this helps...

I visited San Ysidro last Sunday (2/23/2014) afternoon and it was a cake walk.

I took trolley (local train) from old town San Diego at around 12:00PM and changed at 12th & Imperial 1:30PM.

Once I reached San Ysidro, signs will tell you from where to cross border (says new path for crossing border).

it will take hardly 5 minutes to cross, follow people. No checks, no issues and no one will take your old I-94 (no worries).

once you get done from stairs, you'll see on the sharp right that there is an entry for US.

There is usually no line for I-94 (at my time no one was there).

Once you move past first gate, you'll have to get in the building on right side that says 'Permit/I-94'.

Go inside and office may ask you why you are here, explain your situation.

Pay $6 in exact cash. You'll get a piece of paper.

Then as usual get in line, officer will ask for passport, I-94 and I-797. Keep original I-797 (I was asked for it).

Few regular question like where do you work, what you do and finally your US address.

That's it, stamped on passport (up to visa validity) and on that piece of paper also. They tamped on my old passport and when I asked they said since visa is on that we stamped on old. It is OK.

Then happily move out, get in the line for general public (unless you have passport with a chip). It didn't take long, 15 minutes and you are standing next to another officer. They will check passport, may ask if you are bringing something that you want to declare. Assuming you don't shop in Mexico, you are good to go to a final scan of your carry bag.

That is is the end of fun, back to train and back to the downtown or where ever you wish to go.

Train/trolley is very economical. I suggest take a day pass. I spent only $7 on travel.

Hope to see more happy campers here.

Thanks,

Ashish

Hii can you plz share how many days before ur expiry of i94 you went for ( i94 )extension ? My i94 is getting expired in feb 2015 how many days before I should go?

Hi Guys  ,

Thanks for all the information above . I too had the case where my passport was expiring and hence was not issued I94 till my petition expiry in 2016 .  Based on all the guidance provided in this thread , I decided to give it a try today and I am back with new I94.

Below is my story and step by step process for you  -

1. I reached San Diego Airport around 11:30 AM .  As soon as you come out of the airport from the exit near the information booth , you will find the bus stop for 992 on the right side towards the San Diego downtown .  

2. You will see the charts displaying the time of the bus arrival.

3. Once the bus arrived , I took the day pass for 7 dollars (in bus ,keep 7 dollars handy) . This bus would take you to City college Trolley station . As soon as you get down from the bus , go straight in the direction of bus .  Within few steps you will see the  blue line trolley directions to San Ysidro.

4. Take the trolley and again get down at the last stop. 

5. As soon as you get down , again in the direction of train , you will see the board where it is clearly mentioned the pedestrian path to Mexico.

6. Before  starting for that direction , get yourself fresh in the restrooms in the McDonald compound.  There is paid restroom for 25 cent. Keep the change.

7. Once you are ready to go , follow the directions to Mexico . After 2-3 minutes of walking , you will find the first revolving door. Enter through that door and walk towards your right (left is already closed). Walk few steps and you will find the first stairs . Get down through these stairs and then again few steps of walking .

8. Again you will find second stairs . Once you are down from those , take the sharp right and you will see the Blue board mentioning the I94 permit . Stand in that line . It can take some time . For me it took about 20 minutes before officer called for about 10-12 people and ask them to go and sit on bench outside the I94 permit building . Again after sometime , you would be asked by another office outside the Permit building to come inside.

9 . Enter into that building , there is cashier counter . Pay 6 dollars and then wait for your turn .

10 . Handover your passport to officer. I  explained officer why I am here. She asked for my old I94 , my residence address in US ,I129 for my L1 visa .  After verifying the  details , she provided me with new I94 till my petition expiry .  

11. Come out of the building and then proceed towards the security . You would again need to handover your passport and I94 to officer there . Office would verify details and then you are good to Go.

12. Again you can use the same day pass to take  blue line back to City college and 992 to San Diego Airport.

I was back to Airport by 3.30 PM .

Regards ,.

Anuj