Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

My son's I-94 expires in July whereas his L2 is valid for another year, situation arising from passport renewal.

I will be going to Tijuana to get a new I-94 in the July 4 weekend. Some of you have got I-94 recently renewed at Tijuana. Need advice-

1. Did you drive through or park the car on US side?

2. Which section do we need to go and surrender the I-94 on US side?

3. Any specific section that we need to go to get new I-94 on Mexico side?

4. If my son has a valid L2 Visa, would he still need any additional documents?

5. How much time does the process take?

6. Are there any risks?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

I tried crossing the border at Tijuna and came back in. The officer did not issue me a new I-94. The line was too long and we have waited for almost 3 hrs in the car.

Some other forum was referring to cross the border by walk.

Can somebody post their experiences on how to get the new I-94, I mean what line, price and etc.

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks,

Nanda

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently extended my I-94 at Tijuana border and the below is my experience.

Drive down to San Ysidro border (I-805) and park in one of the many available parking areas on US side. Choose one which is closer to the border. Then cross the border by feet. Just ask around on how to cross the border. Do not cross the border by car because when you come back using car there is no way to get new I-94. Also look out for Mexico Only sign and do not enter that lane as it will go straight to Mexico.

Once in Mexico there is a Tourist Info office. Ask them that you want to go back to US and he will show the direction. There is an over-bridge over the interstate. Just cross it and you will see the big line waiting to enter the USA.

Go all the way to the beginning of the line and you will see other line. One for "General Public" and other "I-94/Permits". The "General Public" line is to enter USA if you have a valid visa and I-94 line is to get/extend I-94. Follow "I-94/Permits" line. This line remains open 365/24/7 so you can go anytime. I think if you go late the line would be shorter.

It will take 2-3 hours until you will get your turn. Once you are in the office just ask for I-94 extension. The officer will ask for your passports, stamp it and will give you a new I-94. Then you pay $6 at cashier and you are done!

1. Keep some cash

2. Keep water/food etc. as it will take hours of waiting

3. There are no restrooms anywhere (not even in the immigration office) so be ready to wait for 3+ hours without restroom breaks

4. The I-94 line is open without any shades so be ready for that in summer or rainy days

I went on weekend evening, 5PM and was done by 8PM. Even after 8PM the I-94 line was too long. I think that's because people from Mexico also use this line to get I-94 and working permits and weekend is the best time for them. Or may be it's just that long everyday. Overall it was very smooth except the waiting time.

I will watch this thread and will try to answer questions regarding this.

• 2 weeks later...

This forum has been very helpful. I got a new I94 today.

My experience:

I parked at the Boder station parking ($7), and walked over to the border- 10 min walk only.

Crossed the first revolving door, and then the second. There was an immigration office on the way, but no need to stop there. You can travel to Mexico if you have avalid US visa stamped in your passport.

After crossing the second revolving door, you are in Mexico. U will see some taxi walas asking for passengers. On your left there is a bridge/ramp that crosses over the highway and take you to other side in order to enter back in US. U will see some shops on the way. Look for the I94/Permit sign, join that line (right side. I went on Sat moning and there were around 40 people in front of me waiting to enter in the office on the right (building with blue ornate pillars). Ebter the office when called. I explained CBP officer how I needed a new I94 because of passport expiration. THey asked me a couple of questions- where I live, my address, where I work and gave me a new I94. paid 6 bucks in another window in same office (keep the change with you). Come out of the building and turn right towards the tunnel. THere are 2 lines here- one read with WHTI documents, I did not what it meant and joined the right line with the wall and officer saw my passport, passed the luggage thru scan machine and that was it. After coming out of the building, u will see a bridge/ramp on your left side, that takes you back to camiones way. 5 minute walk back to the parking lot.

I hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

This forum has been very helpful. I got a new I94 today.

My experience:

I parked at the Boder station parking ($7), and walked over to the border- 10 min walk only.

Crossed the first revolving door, and then the second. There was an immigration office on the way, but no need to stop there. You can travel to Mexico if you have avalid US visa stamped in your passport.

After crossing the second revolving door, you are in Mexico. U will see some taxi walas asking for passengers. On your left there is a bridge/ramp that crosses over the highway and take you to other side in order to enter back in US. U will see some shops on the way. Look for the I94/Permit sign, join that line (right side. I went on Sat moning and there were around 40 people in front of me waiting to enter in the office on the right (building with blue ornate pillars). Ebter the office when called. I explained CBP officer how I needed a new I94 because of passport expiration. THey asked me a couple of questions- where I live, my address, where I work and gave me a new I94. paid 6 bucks in another window in same office (keep the change with you). Come out of the building and turn right towards the tunnel. THere are 2 lines here- one read with WHTI documents, I did not what it meant and joined the right line with the wall and officer saw my passport, passed the luggage thru scan machine and that was it. After coming out of the building, u will see a bridge/ramp on your left side, that takes you back to camiones way. 5 minute walk back to the parking lot.

I hope this helps.

I am planning to go to Mexico..But by Air ..can you please help on this

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I have to extend I-94 for my self and for my wife. I am on H-1B and my wife is on H-4 VISA. I see the explanation from gaubhuta and xdesi to get extension of I-94 That is really helpful. I am planning to drive to San Dieogo / Tuana this weekEnd and get this done.

But, please note I do not have the original I-797. I have the copy . Is that okay ? I have a valid VISA though. More details below. Please advise.

1. I came from India in 2012 Feb to LAX. I have a valid visa till 2014 where as my passport will be expired in 2013 Feb.

2. Immigration officer gave me I-94 validity till my passport expiry date and asked me to come back to the Airport once I get my new Passport.

3. I got my new passport now . Not sure if I really can go to any Airport and can get my I-94 extended.

4. I tried calling LAX airport no proper info, went to Infopass appointment, they said I can get it extended at U.S customs and Border protection at SFO. But when I called they are redirecting me to USCIS.

Please do let me know, if I need to apply for extended stay at USCIS or if I can go in person somewhere and get this done.

If I drive to Mexico via San Diego border, do they issue a new I-94? Please note I am on H-1B with a valid I-797 (Copy not the Orignal) and VISA till 2014

Hi, I am on H-1B and my wife on H4 VISA. We both need to extend our I-94. I have gone through above responses from gaubhuta and xdesi. From this, I understand we can get that done. But other concern I have is I donot have the original I-797. I just have the copy of it.

Can you please do let me know if that would be an issue.

1. I came from India in 2012 Feb to LAX. I have a valid visa till 2014 where as my passport will be expired in 2013 Feb.

2. Immigration officer gave me I-94 validity till my passport expiry date and asked me to come back to the Airport once I get my new Passport.

3. I got my new passport now . Not sure if I really can go to any Airport and can get my I-94 extended.

4. I tried calling LAX airport no proper info, went to Infopass appointment, they said I can get it extended at U.S customs and Border protection at SFO. But when I called they are redirecting me to USCIS.

Please do let me know, if I need to apply for extended stay at USCIS or if I can go in person somewhere and get this done.

If I drive to Mexico via San Diego border, do they issue a new I-94? Please note I am on H-1B with a valid I-797 (not the original but the copy) and VISA till 2014.

Please also let me know if I need Mexico VISA ?

Dear Rananu,

I am answering your question as I got my and my families I94 extended at Tijuana border on 17-Jan-2013. Note: I am L1 but I dont think the process will be different for a H1 as there were H people in my lines as well. I am also the same case as my earlier I94 was expiring due to passport and now I have renewed my passport.

I will now try to answer your questions:

1. Park your car at the border look for a parking as close as possible. I parked in 'border station parking' and its same tariff everywhere 7 on weekdays 10 on weekends. 'border station parking' is not the closest :(
  2. I got my and my families I94
  3. I 797 was not asked, infact even I have a copy only also my attorney asked me to carry a copy, so you are good there
  4. You dont need a Mexico visa
  5. Cashier accepts credit cards

Note: if ypur i94 is not yet expired, officer may ask you that why do you need a new one, in that case just tell them you cant come again and would request to give one now. That's what I did.

All the officers were very friendly, far better in mood than the ones I have met at LAX :)

Also I went there at night fearing that there may be long lines during day, but officer on duty told me that there is maximum 30 minutes wait even during day.

Once you are done walk back to your car and have a hearty meal in an adjoining 24 hr open MacDs/Jack in the box :)

• 1 month later...

Hi All, thanks a lot for the detailed info. This was really helpful. Apologies for the delayed response though.

I just followed the above instructions and got the job done.

Me and My wife started from Irvine early in the morning at 6:30. Reached the place with in 1hr 15 mins. The only confusion was that I dont have the right address to put in GPS. I request some one to please update it. Somehow I googled for SD border Mexico, San yisdro border etc. But, it would be great if we have the exact address.

Had a quick break fast at MacDs.

Parking : I was little concerned that I may end up in going to Mexico by Drive and just parked at the other parking lot with a bit highr rate. I found the $7 later when I started walking after parking the car. but not a big deal. And as you guys mentioned there was a long line, I think that was for the people who are coming from MExico to go to U.S. Thanks for your information, we did not end up in going into that lane.

And there was no waiting for this I-94/immigration queue. When I told the officers at the elephant(BIG) gate, they allowed us to enter. And then we entered that building. We were asked to wait as the cashier did not join the duty yet (**** change I guess). We waited till the cashier arrived (may be 15 to 20 mins). And then the officer called me, asked the reason, i said I-94 getting expired. He did not ask me I-797 or prooof of H-1. All he asked is - "is everything still the same - your employer etc ? " I said Yes, nothing changed as it is expiring, we want to get extended. Done deal. He gave the new one immediately.

We paid the cash and joined the line to go to U.S. DO NOT GO BACK and ask we need to go U.S, if they get confused they may ask to join the long lane as all thos folks coming from Mexico are also standing in the queue to go to U.S. But once you get the new I-94, comeout and make a right and go towards U,S.

Customs and Border protection will do the regular check as u r entering into U.S. The officer smiled at me saying... "Ah...I know the reason why you guys came here....as we did not even enter to Mexico"......

So, finally happy ending...thank you all. That was like a night mare before I knew this. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Rananu,

I am answering your question as I got my and my families I94 extended at Tijuana border on 17-Jan-2013. Note: I am L1 but I dont think the process will be different for a H1 as there were H people in my lines as well. I am also the same case as my earlier I94 was expiring due to passport and now I have renewed my passport.

I will now try to answer your questions:

1. Park your car at the border look for a parking as close as possible. I parked in 'border station parking' and its same tariff everywhere 7 on weekdays 10 on weekends. 'border station parking' is not the closest :(
  2. I got my and my families I94
  3. I 797 was not asked, infact even I have a copy only also my attorney asked me to carry a copy, so you are good there
  4. You dont need a Mexico visa
  5. Cashier accepts credit cards

Note: if ypur i94 is not yet expired, officer may ask you that why do you need a new one, in that case just tell them you cant come again and would request to give one now. That's what I did.

All the officers were very friendly, far better in mood than the ones I have met at LAX :)

Also I went there at night fearing that there may be long lines during day, but officer on duty told me that there is maximum 30 minutes wait even during day.

Once you are done walk back to your car and have a hearty meal in an adjoining 24 hr open MacDs/Jack in the box :)

How early you went to border to update your I94? And for how much time it got extended? My I94 is still valid for 4 months and I am planning to visit the border. Is it ok? I have valid visa.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Needed your expert opinion on a decision I need to make.

Visa Details.

L1B - Blanket

Visa End date and I-94 Expiry Date:  21st Sep 2013

My last entry to US was on 15th July 2013 where in my I-94 date was given = Visa/Petition End-date = 21st Sep 2013.  Since I have just 2 months of I-94 left, my company is planning to file for L1B petition extension.  

However, due to the high rate of petition extension rejections,  I first want to explore the possibility if I can travel to Mexico and get an extended I-94 on return.

Has anyone on L1 B visa gone to  San Ysidro border, Tijuana , Mexico to get their I-94 extended.  Mine is NOT an old passport expriy / renewal case. So wanted to check how good are my chances of getting Extended I-94 date beyond my visa end-date.

Appreciate any expert inputs/ previous experiences as I need to make this decision with the next 2 days.

• 3 months later...

Hi All.

Thanks for the info here.

jagarags- could you please share the updates on your case?  did u travel for ur extension ?

Vijay- congrats ! for extension. Need ur help   ..My ext is due in march 14 . I have to apply for L1b ext and working on documentation. Could you please share below details

1. what is your visa type for which I 94 extended?  
2. was ur case related to passport expriy where visa date is higher than given i94 on passport because of passport expiry date?
2. these days people are getting online I94.  Did officer write new I94 while coming back to us ?
3. hw many days you stayed out of us?

kindly reply here or please reach out to me at my email address ( mentioned in my profile details here)

Help will be highly appreciated !

Thanks,
Vikas

hey Vikas,

when crossing borders via land you receive a paper I 94 form and you have to pay $6 for it.

for renewing I 94 based on passpoert expiry you dont need to stay out of us for long. you get an i 94 lets sa until dec 2013 because your passport exipry is dec 2013. if you have renewed your passport, then you go to the border mentioned in this post and tell the officer why you are re-entering and the officer will issue a new I 94.