Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

Hi,

I am travelling to San Diego and then Mexico Border tomorrow. I will land San Diego around 11:30Am and will hire a retal car from there.

Anyone who needs a ride can reach out to me.

Regards,

Arpit (*****************)

Hi Arpit,

Could you please post your experience on how things were? Is your I-94 already expired or is it expiring in the future? Please let us know the details.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my I-94 renewed successfully last Tuesday (April-12-2016)

Summarized experience to benefit others:

• Inside San Diego Airport, take daily pass($5+$2 Compass card). This is valid for one day.
  • Catch MTS 992 route bus & get down at Santa Fe stop (Downtown) in next 20 to 25 minute.
  • Behind Santa Fe stop you can see America plaza trolley station (starting point of Blue line trolley).
  • Get on to Blue line trolley towards San Ysidro. Get down at San Ysidro trolley station in next 40 to 45 minute.
  • On left you can see signs " Pedestrian walkway to Mexico".
  • Cross Mexico border gate and stand in Foreigner's line. Show them your new and old passport.
  • The Mexico officer would ask for the reason of entry. Explain I 94 concern and they would provide one day legal permit to stay in Mexico.
  • Follow the public and press red button. Once clear go out of building onto bridge on left. After 10 to 15 minute of walk you can see people standing in queue.
  • Skip general queue (Usually very long) standing to enter in US. Follow extreme right lane and stand in line at US entry gate for I-94 permit.
  • Once you pass through gate, you will see a building on right. CBP officer allow people in batches to enter inside the building.
  • Once you are inside the building, pay $6 at the counter(Right from entry door) to take I94 permit card.
  • Wait in line. Once CBP officer calls you, explain him why you need new I-94. They will ask for I-129 (Petition document).
  • After verifying the old and new passport along with petition document they will print the I94 card.
  • Get out of the building(check you documents again) and follow "General Public" line.
  • Get through CBP checking, take left and you are back in US (San Ysidro trolley station).
  • Get on to Blue line trolley and get down at America plaza trolley station.
  • Left hand side of trolley station, you can see a small bus stop. You will get 992 route buses (Last stop of 992 bus is San Diego Airport).
  • Check your I-94 online, it gets updated too.

NOTE: The CBP officers are very polite and aware about I 94 concerns.

Good Luck for your I 94 extension till Visa date.

Hello Mr Sing,

Thanks a lot for posting your experience. I got my I-94 renewed today and all the information that you shared was really very helpful.

Your list is pretty much complete and very helpful. I would like to add few points, may be they provide additional help.

From San Diego Airport I took the rental car and drove to border. There is road shuttle service from Airport to  rental car location. The address that you can to put in GPS to drive to the border is:

721 East San Ysidro Boulevard, San Ysidro, CA 92173

After you reach there park your car in the parking on the right. The parking charges are $6 for initial 1 hr and then $8 for the entire day. Most probably, you end up paying $8

After you come out of the parking, walk in the same direction and cross the red-light. You need to reach the diagonally opposite side to left. So this means that you need to move towards the railway line.

After you reach the railway crossing, move in the same direction and search for sign "Pedestrian walkway to Mexico". You need to cross the road leaving Mac Donalds on your left and move on to a cemented paved walkway. 

When you keep walking you will finally reach the pedestrian border gate. Enter the gate and there you will meet Mexico Immigration officer who will ask where you are going and the reason to cross the border. You need to simply mention your I-94 reason.

The officer will put stamp on your passport and issue a one day pass. 

After that you come out of the building, taking left. keep walking on cemented paved walkway till you reach the main road. You don't need to cross the road, just take a sharp right and keep walking where you will find lot of crowd and shops.

You may also find some people (like agents) offering you for helping in I-94 extension. You will also find the taxi drivers that may try approach you to drop somewhere, simply ignore them. Beware of people offering in any kind of help in I-94 renewal. They may offer you to drop to the I-94 line just in $6. Actually, initially we got misdirected by this, also accepted their offer and paid the money. But when they asked us to sit in some bus/ shuttle we found things to be fishy and step back. He tried to convince saying that if you follow the general queue then it may take up to 3 hrs. But we denied and took our money back.

Here, Mr. Sing's post was very helpful. We keep passing the crowd till we reach at the beginning of the line or special I-94 renewal line. When you reach the gate specifically mention the officer there that you came for I-94 renewal or else he may mis-understand and ask you go back and stand in the general queue. Actually, initially he misunderstood us and said to stand in the general queue but then we mentioned that we came for I-94 renewal then he allowed us to enter.

Now from here on wards, the experience is same as Mr. Sing.

Mr. Singh, thank you once again for sharing your valuable experience, it really came out to be very helpful.

Good luck!

Got my I-94 renewed successfully last Tuesday (April-12-2016)

Summarized experience to benefit others:

• Inside San Diego Airport, take daily pass($5+$2 Compass card). This is valid for one day.
  • Catch MTS 992 route bus & get down at Santa Fe stop (Downtown) in next 20 to 25 minute.
  • Behind Santa Fe stop you can see America plaza trolley station (starting point of Blue line trolley).
  • Get on to Blue line trolley towards San Ysidro. Get down at San Ysidro trolley station in next 40 to 45 minute.
  • On left you can see signs " Pedestrian walkway to Mexico".
  • Cross Mexico border gate and stand in Foreigner's line. Show them your new and old passport.
  • The Mexico officer would ask for the reason of entry. Explain I 94 concern and they would provide one day legal permit to stay in Mexico.
  • Follow the public and press red button. Once clear go out of building onto bridge on left. After 10 to 15 minute of walk you can see people standing in queue.
  • Skip general queue (Usually very long) standing to enter in US. Follow extreme right lane and stand in line at US entry gate for I-94 permit.
  • Once you pass through gate, you will see a building on right. CBP officer allow people in batches to enter inside the building.
  • Once you are inside the building, pay $6 at the counter(Right from entry door) to take I94 permit card.
  • Wait in line. Once CBP officer calls you, explain him why you need new I-94. They will ask for I-129 (Petition document).
  • After verifying the old and new passport along with petition document they will print the I94 card.
  • Get out of the building(check you documents again) and follow "General Public" line.
  • Get through CBP checking, take left and you are back in US (San Ysidro trolley station).
  • Get on to Blue line trolley and get down at America plaza trolley station.
  • Left hand side of trolley station, you can see a small bus stop. You will get 992 route buses (Last stop of 992 bus is San Diego Airport).
  • Check your I-94 online, it gets updated too.

NOTE: The CBP officers are very polite and aware about I 94 concerns.

Good Luck for your I 94 extension till Visa date.

• 2 weeks later...

My L1B visa is valid till august 2017 . Since my passport was getting expired , I got i94 expired date same as my old passport expiry date.  

Now , I got my new passport and my employer applied for i94 extension. My i94 will be expired on next week . It seems i94 extension application received by UCSIS . However , receipt is not generated yet.  

How long i can stay or any suggestions.

HimanshuJain and SbSingh,

My wife (on H4) has the same issue. Her passport expiration is June 6th, 2016, but we have the new passport now and the visa is valid till Aug 2017. I am currently in Florida, and thinking of having her fly to San Diego sometime next week. Did you get it done on a weekday or weekend? I was thinking of having her fly on weekend, does that make any difference (in terms of hours of operations etc). The only other option for me is to FLY to JAMAICA and come back.

Hi abahuguna01, I am going this weekend (Saturday) to San Ysidro, I am planning to reach there around 8-9 AM. I think we can go there anytime.

We travelled on weekend and it was very crowded. if possible go on weekend or early hours weekday should be fine.

Please let me know if anyone is planning to go in the coming week/weekend?

******************at the rate g mail dot com

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

Thank you Mr Singh and Himanshujain, Your inputs are excellent. I reached there around 12:30 PM on Saturday and took around 2:30 hours for me to come back. (around 1hr waiting period before permit room, even though very few people waiting outside and inside , it may be officers lunch time).

Parking lot 721 East san ysidro boulevard is the closest but sometimes it is full, there will be some waiting period.

This parking lot, trolley (train name blue line) and bus stations are side by side.

@robo888,

I don't think you can extended H4 status by crossing the border unless she has new H4 visa stamping in her passport. Bcoz I-94 is given based on visa stamping in passport.

In your wife case, if she has old H4 visa which is not yet expired then she can enter US and then apply for H4 that's all. She will get new I-94 automatically when she applies for H4 based on your new I797 expiry date. 

Hi,

Anyone Travelling to Loredo Border in texas-Mexico to I94 extension? Please let me know on ****************atgmaildotcom

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

@abahuguna01, Some people there did not know what to do in our situation, so I explained them I am here to get the new I-94 based on the I-797 date, I showed the docs. The attending officer discussed with another officer and came back asked about my profile(showed company letter) and I-129 docs.  They were trying to map my profile with their listed profiles in computer, they mapped finally and gave me  new I-94 (White slip) after 10-20 mints. The same is updated on website as well.

I was trying to find I-94 on website using my new passport number and did not find, then I used my old number then It came up. So it still shows my old passport number with admit date as I-797 expiry date.

Not sure passport number needs to be corrected or not.