Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

Important informatiom for those who are travelling to San Ysidro/Tijuana for I-94 extension:

As few others have opinted out that process have changed I want to share my experience. I hope it will help others and create less stress for them.

I went to San Diego on Sept 5th with my family. Parked the car behind Jack in the box for $20. Parking attendant told me that it is $20 on weekends. Walked past the McDonalds and saw a board of 'New Pedestrian Entry to Mexico'. Followed that path and reach in front of an iron gate. 'Mexico' was written on top of that door. See the picture and video at the following link for more visual information:

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/08/20/at-busy-crossing-pedestrians-need-passports-to-enter-mexico

I was expecting to cros the gate and walk till I reach US CBP but as soon as I entered, I did see a right lane to bypass all Mexico immigration. Right lane was closed so I told to a Mexican guard that I am here for I94 extension. He took me to one of the counter where I explained my situation. I was not expecting any of these based on the others experience in the past. Mexican duo at counter didn't understand english very well and they were not clear what I wanted. By this time I started getting nervous. Mexican immigration officaial at counter went to another counter and discussed with some one else. After coming back he issued a permit to Mexico and asked me to go to US CBP after leaving the building. I went to a security check after that and pressed a button. It was green so my luggage was not checked. As soon as I left building I had to walk about half a kilometer before I reached another line. That line was very long and there was no way to know if I was in the right line or not. I kept on going but the line was not ending so I thought that I may be at wrong place. Waited for few minutes then I went back to Mexico immigration building and told them that I am not sure if I went to correct place. After some discussion they sent a guard with me. Guard took me from a short cut to the gate of US CBP. US CBP asked me to stand in a right side line where 8-10 people were already standing. There was a board in that line about I94 extension. My experience after that was simillar to other people.

My understanding after doing some research that process changed about 15 days ago. Route has also changed. See the link I posted above. Here is another link where you can find some information and few photos of the new mexican immigration facility.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/19/mexico-opens-new-pedestrian-port-san-ysidro/

Best of luck to everyone going for I94 extension.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important informatiom for those who are travelling to San Ysidro/Tijuana for I-94 extension:

As few others have opinted out that process have changed I want to share my experience. I hope it will help others and create less stress for them.

I went to San Diego on Sept 5th with my family. Parked the car behind Jack in the box for $20. Parking attendant told me that it is $20 on weekends. Walked past the McDonalds and saw a board of 'New Pedestrian Entry to Mexico'. Followed that path and reach in front of an iron gate. 'Mexico' was written on top of that door. See the picture and video at the following link for more visual information:

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/08/20/at-busy-crossing-pedestrians-need-passports-to-enter-mexico

I was expecting to cros the gate and walk till I reach US CBP but as soon as I entered, I did see a right lane to bypass all Mexico immigration. Right lane was closed so I told to a Mexican guard that I am here for I94 extension. He took me to one of the counter where I explained my situation. I was not expecting any of these based on the others experience in the past. Mexican duo at counter didn't understand english very well and they were not clear what I wanted. By this time I started getting nervous. Mexican immigration officaial at counter went to another counter and discussed with some one else. After coming back he issued a permit to Mexico and asked me to go to US CBP after leaving the building. I went to a security check after that and pressed a button. It was green so my luggage was not checked. As soon as I left building I had to walk about half a kilometer before I reached another line. That line was very long and there was no way to know if I was in the right line or not. I kept on going but the line was not ending so I thought that I may be at wrong place. Waited for few minutes then I went back to Mexico immigration building and told them that I am not sure if I went to correct place. After some discussion they sent a guard with me. Guard took me from a short cut to the gate of US CBP. US CBP asked me to stand in a right side line where 8-10 people were already standing. There was a board in that line about I94 extension. My experience after that was simillar to other people.

My understanding after doing some research that process changed about 15 days ago. Route has also changed. See the link I posted above. Here is another link where you can find some information and few photos of the new mexican immigration facility.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/19/mexico-opens-new-pedestrian-port-san-ysidro/

Best of luck to everyone going for I94 extension.

Can you please send a email to me i want to discuss more on it. I didn't see any contact info in your profile.

Hello everyone!

My i-94 had expired (in July 2015) and I came to know about it after a month of expiration. My H1B was still valid (till May 2016). After considering all options (filing a Nunc Pro Tunc, travelling outside the country), I decided to fly to Europe (fortunately I had a valid Schengen visa). Upon re-entry to US at Chicago airport, I got a new i-94 with the expiration date same as my H1B visa's expiration date. 

Thanks to the forum members for sharing their experiences! To anyone in similar situation, do not worry! This problem is resolvable. 

Hi All,

Case -

I am on L1, and wife on L2.
    We entered at MSP, and we were given shorter I-94 (till March 2016) because of my passport expiry.
    I called CBP (Customs and Border Protection) at MSP, but they said that i need to file the extension through I -539. They said they only do corrections and no extensions.
    We decided to go to San Ysidro / Trijuana, because we need the extension quick as i need to do visa for my parents and thought because of my I 94 their visa can be denied.

Experience -
1. Took a flight from MSP to San Diego on friday evening and relax in hotel in Downtown.
2. On Saturday( September 19) early morning (around 5 AM) took one day pass (cost 9$) for trolley and went to San Ysidro border.
3. Reached to the border in another 40 mins and then go ahead to cross the border.
4. Followed the sign boards by walk, and entered into a building with one-way revolving grill door, which is NEW MEXICO PORT OF ENTRY Building.
5. Went to Mexico immigration office and told them that we are here only for I 94 extension and he filled two forms himself and issued one day permit.
6. Once through with process, you need to go through one security/customs check detector.
7. Then we need to walk around 200 meters to go back to US. So follow the "General Public" line but don't stand in that line. Go to the right and go ahead for line starting point.
8. When you reach at the gate, there you will see, another entry on right side for I-94.
9. Go inside that I94 permit building , there were only 2-3 people.
10. Inside the building, at the corner we paid $6 for I-94 at cashier counter. He simply issued two blank I-94 forms. No question asked.
11. In about 10-15 mins, one of the CBP officers at the counters called us.
12. Explained the situation to CBP officer and he simply asked about petition paper. And stamped the old passport and blank I -94 form with Visa validity date.
13. These people seem to be familiar of I-94 conditions, process and they are very polite.
14. Once I-94 issued, came out of the building, and walked right through "All Travelers" line. They checked passport and I-94 date and said you are good to go.
15. Scanned the bag and then we are back in US.

Thanks to all for sharing the experience.

Best of luck.

Hi, I am currently located in San Jose, CA. I got my I94 stamped at San Francisco international aiport when I came here.

I have few queries:

1) Can I visit CBP office in San Jose/San Francisco to get I94 updated?

2) Do I need to have Mexican visa to visit San Diego - Tijuana Mexico border to get I94 updated ?

Anybody have plans to visit the San Diego - Tijuana Mexico border in next 2 weeks please let me know. My I94 is expiring on 8th Oct 2015. I am willing to share the travelling expenses

Hi

Any body planning to go to San Diego for I-94 extension on this Saturday or Sunday please reply.

Thanks

Hi, I am planning to go on this Weekend or many be on next weekend. Do you want to join ? my number is ***************, I am located in San Jose, CA. Please call me.

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

Hi ,

My question if anybody went to sandiego/mexico border ?Have they also stamped new passport because for me they stamped on old passport and extended my I94 till the date of my Visa . When i checked online by putting new passport number then there was no any records but when i checked online by putting old passport number then i could see that extended till the date of my visa and I797.Is that ok or they should stamp it on my new passport ?Please let me know.Thanks

Hi ,

My question if anybody went to sandiego/mexico border ?Have they also stamped new passport because for me they stamped on old passport and extended my I94 till the date of my Visa . When i checked online by putting new passport number then there was no any records but when i checked online by putting old passport number then i could see that extended till the date of my visa and I797.Is that ok or they should stamp it on my new passport ?Please let me know.Thanks

Rest assured. Same is the case with me. They stamp only on the old passport which is having visa. Online too, I can see the extended date by entering old passport number.

Dear All

Your contributions to this forum have been very helpful and I can finally see some hope in my case. I have explained my situation below, I really hope you can give me an answer too.

• My wife and I arrived in the US on my L1B Blanket visa (My wife on L2) in 2013.
  • Both our visas are valid till 2018.
  • Since L1B visa is stamped on 3 + 2 years basis, our current I94 is valid till 2016.
  • Both our passports are valid till 2022. Most cases discussed in this forum had to renew because current I94 was stamped as per passport validity. My case is different hence I need your help/suggestions.

Can my wife and I still go to Mexico border and ask CBP officer to extend our I94 till the end of our visa validity i.e. 2018?

If yes,

• please advise if there is any recommended time period to make this trip before our I94 expires (1 month, 2 months or 3 months)?
  • What specific documents do I need to carry for both me and my wife?

Also, one of my colleagues (L1A visa and dependents on L2) recently made a trip to India with his family. On their return, their I94's were automatically renewed for additional 2 years by the CBP officer. Is this another option? Will it work for me If I am on L1B?

Eagerly awaiting your helpful responses.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Is any one travelling to Niagara for I94 extension or san diego please do let me know even my I94 expires but having valid visa til next year. Please let me know.. my id is **************@gmail.com

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the posts. Most of my questions got clarified in this thread. I still have few more queries which is not addressed in this thread. Appreciate you help explaining them.

1) My I 94 expires on Jan 9, 2015. But I have valid H1B visa till June 2016. I am expecting my new passport during 2nd week of December. If I plan to visit Mexico for I 94 extension, will they expect my visa to be stamped on my new passport. If not, will my I94 extension be on old passport number?

2) Is it safe to do a port of entry in Mexico, as I just have only 6 more months of valid visa. If it is risky, is there any other option I 94 extension?

Hi

I was into same situation. To correct I-94, I went to Jamaica for short trip and came back to US. They given me new I-94 with new Passport number.

But one my friend says as I-94 with new passport details, we may need to update H1b petition with new passport details. Is that correct?

Are we given new I-94 with new passport numbers or old passport numbers? Can any one update H1B petitions after passport renewals?