Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

Hi Guys  ,

Yerterday i went to San diaego border and got my new i94 date.

Below is my story and step by step process for you  -

1. I reached San Diego Airport around 11:00 AM .  As soon as you come out of the airport from the exit near the information booth , you will find the bus stop for 992 on the right side towards the San Diego downtown . 

(So now to my experience; From San Diego airport I took bus no. 992 to which would drop me at the City College Trolley station - it is the last stop for the bus so you can sit back and enjoy the city. On the bus I took a day-pass which is valid on bus and trolley for the whole day and cost me only $7. From City college station take a blue line to San Ysidro Transit center and it is the last stop on that line.)

992 bus schdule : http://www.sdcommute.com/SDMTSRoutePDFs/992.pdf

2. You will see the charts displaying the time of the bus arrival.

3. Once the bus arrived , I took the day pass for 7 dollars (in bus ,keep 7 dollars handy) . This bus would take you to City college Trolley station . As soon as you get down from the bus , go straight in the direction of bus .  Within few steps you will see the  blue line trolley directions to San Ysidro.

4. Take the trolley and again get down at the last stop. 

5. As soon as you get down , again in the direction of train , you will see the board where it is clearly mentioned the NEW pedestrian path to Mexico.

6. Once you are ready to go , follow the directions to Mexico . After 2-3 minutes of walking , you will find the first revolving door. Enter through that door and walk towards your right (left is already closed). Walk few steps and you will find the first stairs . Get down through these stairs and then again few steps of walking .

7. Again you will find second stairs . Once you are down from those , take the sharp right and you will see the Blue small board mentioning the I94 permit .

8 . Enter into that building , there is cashier counter . Pay 6 dollars and then wait for your turn .

9 . Handover your passport to officer. I  explained officer why I am here. He asked 797 document for my H1B, my residence address in US .  After verifying the  details , He provided me with new I94 till my petition expiry. Those cbp guys are really nice and helpful

10. Come out of the building and then proceed towards the security . You would again need to handover your passport and I94 to officer there . Office would verify details and ask some questions like why you are here? etc...then you are good to Go.

11. Again you can use the same day pass to take  blue line back to City college and 992 to San Diego Airport.

I was back to Airport by 2.30 PM .

Thanks for all information.

building right 

Regards ,.

Deva

hi Deva,

so you really dont have to get out of the building right .. you have mentioned after second stairs take a sharp right . i tried to watch some vidoesbut they all show how you go out to mexico..none of them show going towards i94 ..so just confirming thanks in advance

AR

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi chris 

i wnt to tijuana extended it but it is not reflecting online 

Is your reflecting online?

i have the paper i94 with me which reflects it correctly

thanks

Hi Guys,

just wanted to let you all know that i have extended my i-94 expiration date now with my I-797 validity date.

Thank you

Kris

h

My I-94 expired in Oct-2014 same date as my passport expiry date. i received i-797 in 2012 with expiry date of Jun-2015 and went to India in May 2014. I renwed my passport in Jul-2014.  i Realized my i-94 was expired in Jan-2015.

The information shared in this forum helped to go to Mexico to get the new I-94 with expiry date matching my I797.

I went to Tijuana (followed exact instrucations privided by deva. Thanks to him for detailing exactly how to go to Tijuana from San Diego Airport.)and the officer was reluctant to give me new I-94. She said that i have valid I-94 based on my I-797. I requested politely but officer asked me to enter US based on physical I-94 in I-797. I was disappointed and entered to US thnking that i should go to India to get the new I-94. It took exactly 3 hours from airport to Tijuana to Airport.

I verified online in cbp website to check if dates are updated in online i-94. Surprisingly it got corrected. Had a tough time explaining the situation to customs officer and my suggestion is to be patient and polite when dealing with the sitations of expired i-94s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I went to San Ysidro yesterday to get my i94 extended after passport renewal.

My i797 is valid till 2017. My old passport was expiring on 30-May-15 and my i94 is valid till same date. 

I went to the office, but the officer told me that the system doesn't allow to update i94 before 4 months. He even tried to check with his senior but could not help.

He told me to come closer to i94 expiry date, around 30 days or less. 

I wanted to check with you, have you guys have successful experience 30 days before i94 expiry.

I am planning to go on May 2nd.

Thanks

Hello Guys,

I just want to report this,

My I-94 was expired due to expirty of my passport. but I have H-1b and I-797 until Aug 2016.

I enter to the states on May 21st 2014, and my Passport was expiring on January 20th 2015.

So, the CBP(Custom Border Protection) gave me I-94 validity until January 20th 2015.

On January 16th 2015 I exnted my passport and I got it until 2025, however, I totally forgot about I-94, until I realized on February 4th 2015.

I contact Local CBP on my area, since I live in Los Angeles, I went to CBP Long beach and LAX they both told me they could not help, and I have to go to either downtown or out side the country and coming back, otherwise my status as of now is over stay, however they didnt even bother to catch me(thanks God), so I was able to leave the CBP without any problem

But In order to go to Downtown CBP, it needs reservation and I heard it will take you forever for wait, and there is no guarantee that they can fix your I-94, so what I did is drive to the San Diego, and cross the Tijuana borders from San Ysidro on February 7th 2015.

On Mexico I was able to Extend my I-94 without any problem, however I was waiting for almost 4 - 5 hours! since the I-94 is also line for those Mexican people to get permit to works or enter to the united states.

Just for your information, if you do decide go to Mexico for I-94 exntension or fixing your expire I-94 I would advise go there not on the morning or noon time! if you could try in early morning or midnight, since they are open 24 hours, I would assume it would be less waiting time.

and please dont forget your, Passport(if your passport expired, bring both new and old one with the H1B visa stamp on it) and your company offer letter and I-797.

The question that they will ask is just, your tittle, and what do you do, and verify the address of the company, thats all!

Also when you are in mexico, please go all the way to the right, there is a General, 3 line, I believe(from the left, General/Public Line, Ready Line, and SIR(or SR) something like that)

Dont go to those 3 lines, just go all the way to the right, if you are not sure which line try to go front first and check it, there is a sign that indicating I-94 Extension or permission/permission  something like that, go to that line.

Then all should be good! and dont forget to bring $6.

I hope this help for some of you, if you have other question let me know, I will try to answer whatever I could.

Hello Guys,

I just want to report this,

My I-94 was expired due to expirty of my passport. but I have H-1b and I-797 until Aug 2016.

I enter to the states on May 21st 2014, and my Passport was expiring on January 20th 2015.

So, the CBP(Custom Border Protection) gave me I-94 validity until January 20th 2015.

On January 16th 2015 I exnted my passport and I got it until 2025, however, I totally forgot about I-94, until I realized on February 4th 2015.

I contact Local CBP on my area, since I live in Los Angeles, I went to CBP Long beach and LAX they both told me they could not help, and I have to go to either downtown or out side the country and coming back, otherwise my status as of now is over stay, however they didnt even bother to catch me(thanks God), so I was able to leave the CBP without any problem

But In order to go to Downtown CBP, it needs reservation and I heard it will take you forever for wait, and there is no guarantee that they can fix your I-94, so what I did is drive to the San Diego, and cross the Tijuana borders from San Ysidro on February 7th 2015.

On Mexico I was able to Extend my I-94 without any problem, however I was waiting for almost 4 - 5 hours! since the I-94 is also line for those Mexican people to get permit to works or enter to the united states.

Just for your information, if you do decide go to Mexico for I-94 exntension or fixing your expire I-94 I would advise go there not on the morning or noon time! if you could try in early morning or midnight, since they are open 24 hours, I would assume it would be less waiting time.

and please dont forget your, Passport(if your passport expired, bring both new and old one with the H1B visa stamp on it) and your company offer letter and I-797.

The question that they will ask is just, your tittle, and what do you do, and verify the address of the company, thats all!

Also when you are in mexico, please go all the way to the right, there is a General, 3 line, I believe(from the left, General/Public Line, Ready Line, and SIR(or SR) something like that)

Dont go to those 3 lines, just go all the way to the right, if you are not sure which line try to go front first and check it, there is a sign that indicating I-94 Extension or permission/permission  something like that, go to that line.

Then all should be good! and dont forget to bring $6.

I hope this help for some of you, if you have other question let me know, I will try to answer whatever I could.

Hi global82,

I am planning to go the San Ysidro border for I-94 extension on Feb 18th 2014. Thank you so much for the details and Could you please confirm that NO MEXICAN VISA is needed to cross the border and return? 

Thanks,

Abhi.

Hi global82,

I am planning to go the San Ysidro border for I-94 extension on Feb 18th 2014. Thank you so much for the details and Could you please confirm that NO MEXICAN VISA is needed to cross the border and return? 

Thanks,

Abhi.

Hello Abhi,

In my opinion(I might be wrong) I think if you fly to mexico, you need a visa, but if you are just crossing the border on foot I dont think you need it, since there is nobody to check your visa when you are cross walking.

So I didnt need visa, I just crossed walk and return to the States, and all is good for my case.

For those that planning to fly, this information might help you if you need visa or not:

http://www.******************

Good Luck!

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Links to outside sources, with the exception of government agencies, are not permitted on the forum.

My I-94 expires on April-1 2015 which is the expiry date of my old passport. I have a valid H1 visa until sep 2016 and I have my new passport which i got a few months back. Can I get my I-94 renewed if I travel to mexico ( Cabos ) by air? I want to get a valid I-94 before april-1 2015. Please suggest.

Does the I-94 gets electronically updated if I travel to neighbouring countries?

Thanks

Roshini

• 3 weeks later...

This post is very useful to understand the whole process. Thank you all of you for sharing your experiences. I am planning to go next week to San Ysidro Transit Center. If anybody is planning to go, please let me know. 

In addition, I wanted to confirm if following documents would suffice:

1. old and new passport

2. last 3 pay stubs

3. offer letter

4. original i797

Do I need to get separate letter from employer stating that I would be travelling to mexico for i94 renewal purpose and that i am still working at xyz company?

Thanks to everyone on this forum for taking the time to share their experience with I-94 extension. My situation is similar to most people on this forum. My passport will expire on 27th April 2015, but my visa is valid until Nov 2016 so when I entered the country I was issued an I-94 that is only valid until the end date of my passport. I just received my new passport and was planing to go for I-94 extension at the San Ysidro border some time in April. I live in Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone else is planning to go around this time. Please let me know we can probably go together.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone on this forum for taking the time to share their experience with I-94 extension. My situation is similar to most people on this forum. My passport will expire on 27th April 2015, but my visa is valid until Nov 2016 so when I entered the country I was issued an I-94 that is only valid until the end date of my passport. I just received my new passport and was planing to go for I-94 extension at the San Ysidro border some time in April. I live in Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone is planning to go for extension around this time. If so, we can probably go together.

Thanks!

Hi All,

My i797 is valid till 2017. My old passport was expiring on 30-May-15 and my i94 is valid till same date. 

I went to the office, but the officer told me that the system doesn't allow to update i94 before 4 months. He even tried to check with his senior but could not help.

I wanted to check with you, have you guys have successful experience 30 days before i94 expiry.

Thanks

Hello, is this the correct news that system cannot update i94 before 4 months?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I am planning to visit  San Ysidro border for I-94 extension on March 7th 2015 (Saturday) from Bay Area, CA. Please let me know if anyone planning to go San Ysidro border for I-94 extension and interested to join. 

Current  I94 will expire on April 11th  2015.

Dear sbhaskar,

Yes, I was able to get my I94 extended today with 50 days remaining on my current I94 (similar situation as yours) - here are a few notes:

1) The lady officer at the 'Permits' building mentioned a few times that she could not issue a new I94 or update, since the current one was active and not expired. I kept persisting that my colleague got his I94 renewed couple of months ago (which he actually did), and asked politely to see if she could double-check. The officer checked with a senior officer who was able to help and explained that they could provide a paper I94 to be affixed to the passport; and then update their system with the new date (which will be your I797 expiry, assuming your passport is also valid until then), since I have a valid visa which is active beyond my current I94 date. ((This explanation really helped the purpose))

2) I double-checked with the officer if I would be able to see the updated date online and the response was affirmative - now, I am able to see the new date reflected in the website as well (please note that you will need to enter your old passport no. in the I94 website to see this).

3) And then, the officer stamped the US entry on both passports as well.

All the best on your next trip - please keep these in mind.

Hi All,

Thanks

My I-94 got extended at Tijuana border on March 7th 2015 (Saturday), would like to share my experience.

Note: Some Important Points to be noted here to avoid confusion, I will try my best to share each and every point so that it will be easy to others!!

1) Drove from Bay Area,CA on March 6th 2015 (Friday) @10:00PM, reached San Ysidro border on March 7th 2015 (Saturday) @5:45AM PST.
2) Parked my Car behind 'Jack in the Box' parking space. Parking Address: 721 E San Ysidro Blvd, San Diego, CA 92173, paid $7 for 8 hours
3) Crossed the border by feet, you see signs "Pedestrian path to mexico", just follow the path and you see "Revolving Door" to enter Tijuana.
4) After passing Revolving Door you will see the people waiting/passing in lines to enter the USA, lines go towards right, ****dont go left****.
5) Dont join the "General Public" line, keep passing from the right most way, you see two gates one for "General Public" and other Gate for "I-94/Permits".
6) Once you enter that "I-94/Permits" Gate, you will see the CBP office building on the right.
7) Entered into the CBP office around 6:00AM PST.
   Officer: officer asked what do you want? 
   Me: surprised to hear that, but anyways told him I came for I-94
   Officer: told me go to the next counter and pay $6 cash to get I-94
   Lady officer: went to the lady officer, showed my passport and asked her I-94.
   Lady officer: She looked at my Visa on old passport and saw the Visa validity till May 2016 and told you don't require I-94.
   Me: Again surprised to hear that :) gave her I-797 approved copy as well.
   Lady officer: officer saw the port of entry stamps on opposite page of Visa, she saw 29 May 2016 date on one of the                               stamp, she said you don't require I-94.
   Me: reason for that stamp on my passport: in June 2013 when I came from India CBP officer in SFO by mistake didn't                 check the passport expiry date and entered Visa expiry date, which is May 2016, even in 2014 I went to India but              that time CBP officer in SFO stamped till passport expiry April 11th 2015.
   Me:  I have couple of port of entry stamps on opposite page of Visa, since I travel to India more frequently.
   Lady officer: She verified I-797 and she noticed the I-94 on the I-797 approved copy, she again told me that you have
                         I-94 in your I-797 so no new I-94 required.
  Me: Since I have not detached the old I-94 on my I-797 she got confused, she said that she will check with the senior                 officer.
  Lady officer:  she went to officer and told the situation, he said that she is right and I don't require new I-94
  Lady officer:  she came back to me and told you are good, no I-94 required!!!
  Me:  Now I understood the situation and the officers knowledge on I-94.

Lady officer came out of the room after taking to officer and she came to me with my passport and I-797 and she is trying to convey that I dont require I-94.

I clearly told her that, if you see my opposite visa page on passport you see multiple port of entry stamps, she said yes I can see that, told her each time I go out of the country and while coming back to USA the CBP office in airport looks for my Visa validity and passport expiry and puts the stamp, if the passport expires before the Visa expiry date, they put the date of passport expiry. With all these explanation I showed her last port of entry stamp and the date on it, which is April 11th 2015, I told her since the I-94 is online, my online status show that my I-94 is valid till April 11th 2015, so I came here to cross the boarder to update my I-94. Finally!!!! she understood and said Okay I will give you I-94, please pay $6 cash she gave I-94 paper copy  (Blank copy) and asked to go to CBP officer!!!

Hold on Guys!!! story not done yet!!!! :)

Note: Lady officer in the room will only verify whether we need I-94 or not and will issue  I-94 paper copy  (Blank copy) only by taking $6 cash, main information in I-94 will be updated by CBP officer in the same office.

Joined the Line and went to  CBP officer, CBP officer took the passport, I-797 and I-94 paper copy (Blank copy), Officer after seeing the I-797 and my Visa he told the same story that I don't require I-94, again repeated the same story to the officer and finally gave me paper copy of I-94 and updated it online as well!!!! :)

Once done with the I-94 came out of that building and joined the General public line to enter USA, CBP officer asked why I came to mexico, told him that I came to update my I-94 and said I am work in USA on H1B, he verified my visa and I-94 on the passport and he said you are good to go, while coming out I passed my bag through security scanner for  screening and collect the bags once done, Finally Came out the building entered USA!!!!

Total time : 6:00AM to 7:30AM PST, go early to avoid wait times in Lines.

Guess What caused Confusion here????
Yes...you got it! I-94 on your I-797 Approved Copy!!!

Remove the I-94 on your I-797 Copy and explain your situation to CBP officer to get your I-94, CBP officers in San Ysidro (Tijuana) boarder are very polite and friendly!!!! :)

Key Points:
1)Make sure you carry both old and new passport
2)I-797 Approved Copy Original
3)Employment Verification Letter
4)Make sure you have Valid H1B Visa on you passport to enter USA
5)No Mexico visa required to enter Mexico, since you are crossing the boarder by walk!
6)Carry latest pay stubs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I renewed my I94 two days back at Tijuana-SanDiego border. 

Current I94 expiry - Jan2016

Reason told - Current I94 was issued based on old passport expiry date.  Reissue new i94 based on new passport and I797A

Docs required - Passport and I797A original

I was skeptical about earlier comment on I94 can't be renewed before 90 days of expiry.  Just wanted to give it a try and no issues faced.  Be clear when you tell the reason for renewing I94.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

My case is similar, my I-797 & H1B Visa is valid till 2017, but my I-94 is expiring 2015. 

I renewed my passport and is valid till 2025, now I want to renew my I-94.

I see this forum information is so valuable, but the concern here is all the post's listed below are a year old. Not sure if any border rules have been changed?

Is there any recent year 2015 similar experiences in renew the I-94 by crossing Tijuana Mexico Border 

Please share any similar experiences in year 2015.

-Hari