Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Great info and detailed experiences from the members on this post. Thank you.

I am planning to go to San Ysidro border to get a new i-94 either on 13th or 14th December. Let me know if you anybody else has a similar plan during these days!

Hey, I'm also planning to go San Ysidro border for my i-94 renewal. could you please send me an email to ************@gmail.com. we will plan.  Thanks.

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

Hi Guys  ,

Yerterday i went to San diaego border and got my new i94 date.

Below is my story and step by step process for you  -

1. I reached San Diego Airport around 11:00 AM .  As soon as you come out of the airport from the exit near the information booth , you will find the bus stop for 992 on the right side towards the San Diego downtown . 
 (So now to my experience; From San Diego airport I took bus no. 992 to which would drop me at the City College Trolley station - it is the last stop for the bus so you can sit back and enjoy the city. On the bus I took a day-pass which is valid on bus and trolley for the whole day and cost me only $7. From City college station take a blue line to San Ysidro Transit center and it is the last stop on that line.)
992 bus schdule : http://www.sdcommute.com/SDMTSRoutePDFs/992.pdf

2. You will see the charts displaying the time of the bus arrival.

3. Once the bus arrived , I took the day pass for 7 dollars (in bus ,keep 7 dollars handy) . This bus would take you to City college Trolley station . As soon as you get down from the bus , go straight in the direction of bus .  Within few steps you will see the  blue line trolley directions to San Ysidro.

4. Take the trolley and again get down at the last stop. 

5. As soon as you get down , again in the direction of train , you will see the board where it is clearly mentioned the NEW pedestrian path to Mexico.

6. Once you are ready to go , follow the directions to Mexico . After 2-3 minutes of walking , you will find the first revolving door. Enter through that door and walk towards your right (left is already closed). Walk few steps and you will find the first stairs . Get down through these stairs and then again few steps of walking .

7. Again you will find second stairs . Once you are down from those , take the sharp right and you will see the Blue small board mentioning the I94 permit .

8 . Enter into that building , there is cashier counter . Pay 6 dollars and then wait for your turn .

9 . Handover your passport to officer. I  explained officer why I am here. He asked 797 document for my H1B, my residence address in US .  After verifying the  details , He provided me with new I94 till my petition expiry. Those cbp guys are really nice and helpful

10. Come out of the building and then proceed towards the security . You would again need to handover your passport and I94 to officer there . Office would verify details and ask some questions like why you are here? etc...then you are good to Go.

11. Again you can use the same day pass to take  blue line back to City college and 992 to San Diego Airport.

I was back to Airport by 2.30 PM .

Thanks for all information.

Regards ,.

Deva

Hi Guys  ,

1. I reached San Diego Airport around 11:00 AM .  As soon as you come out of the airport from the exit near the information booth , you will find the bus stop for 992 on the right side towards the San Diego downtown . 

(So now to my experience; From San Diego airport I took bus no. 992 to which would drop me at the City College Trolley station - it is the last stop for the bus so you can sit back and enjoy the city. On the bus I took a day-pass which is valid on bus and trolley for the whole day and cost me only $7. From City college station take a blue line to San Ysidro Transit center and it is the last stop on that line.)

3. Once the bus arrived , I took the day pass for 7 dollars (in bus ,keep 7 dollars handy) . This bus would take you to City college Trolley station . As soon as you get down from the bus , go straight in the direction of bus .  Within few steps you will see the  blue line trolley directions to San Ysidro.

5. As soon as you get down , again in the direction of train , you will see the board where it is clearly mentioned the NEW pedestrian path to Mexico.

6. Once you are ready to go , follow the directions to Mexico . After 2-3 minutes of walking , you will find the first revolving door. Enter through that door and walk towards your right (left is already closed). Walk few steps and you will find the first stairs . Get down through these stairs and then again few steps of walking .

7. Again you will find second stairs . Once you are down from those , take the sharp right and you will see the Blue small board mentioning the I94 permit .

8 . Enter into that building , there is cashier counter . Pay 6 dollars and then wait for your turn .

9 . Handover your passport to officer. I  explained officer why I am here. He asked 797 document for my H1B, my residence address in US .  After verifying the  details , He provided me with new I94 till my petition expiry. Those cbp guys are really nice and helpful

10. Come out of the building and then proceed towards the security . You would again need to handover your passport and I94 to officer there . Office would verify details and ask some questions like why you are here? etc...then you are good to Go.

11. Again you can use the same day pass to take  blue line back to City college and 992 to San Diego Airport.

Regards ,.

Deva

Looks like my experience helped you a lot 

Hi,

Thanks a lot of all the useful information about I94 extension.

I have an extra constraint :

US visa (H4) stamping is expired

I94 is expiring in Feb 2015

I797 is valid until Mar 2016

Passport is renewed last month for the next 10 years

Any experience or advice on attempting I94 extension at Tijuana border. Would an expired US visa matter for this ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/experience sharing.

Sashok

Hi Guys  ,

Regards ,.

Deva

Thank you Deva. I'm planning to go San Yisdro border on Dec 23rd, 2014.

Anyone know the holiday schedule for the i-94 renewal.

Hi, I am on L1 Visa. My son on L2 visa, we have a visa valid till 2017. But my son got I94 till Mar 2015, since his passport is going to expire on March 2015. I renewed his passport and I got a new passport. Now, I need to go for I94 extension for him. Our port of entry is Chicago and we are staying in Chicago. I analyzed and found we have below three options.

1. Contact nearest CBP.

2. Cross the border in either Mexico or Canada.

3. File I-539 in USCIS.

We tried the first option, we couldn't succeed. They asked to apply I-539. Now I have only 2 options. Either apply I-539 or Cross the border.

As per this forum, cross the border in San Diego is risk free and simple. But I have to travel for this from Chicago to San Diego.

But, can you please suggest which one is the best option, filing I-539 or cross the border?

Hi, I am on L1 Visa. My son on L2 visa, we have a visa valid till 2017. But my son got I94 till Mar 2015, since his passport is going to expire on March 2015. I renewed his passport and I got a new passport. Now, I need to go for I94 extension for him. Our port of entry is Chicago and we are staying in Chicago. I analyzed and found we have below three options.

1. Contact nearest CBP.

3. File I-539 in USCIS.

We tried the first option, we couldn't succeed. They asked to apply I-539. Now I have only 2 options. Either apply I-539 or Cross the border.

As per this forum, cross the border in San Diego is risk free and simple. But I have to travel for this from Chicago to San Diego.

But, can you please suggest which one is the best option, filing I-539 or cross the border?

Crossing the border is very simple. For dependents it is very easy to get.

1. Contact nearest CBP.

3. File I-539 in USCIS.

Filing I-539 is the easiest option in your son's case based on your geographical location. All you need is fill a form and send it to USCIS with supporting documents and $290.

Filing I-539 is the easiest option in your son's case based on your geographical location. All you need is fill a form and send it to USCIS with supporting documents and $290.

Recently one of my friend recently renewed the i94 date for his son. His son i94 was expired and he crossed the border and got the new i94 date.

Recently one of my friend recently renewed the i94 date for his son. His son i94 was expired and he crossed the border and got the new i94 date.

Person stated that s/he is located in Chicago and crossing the border means travel to Mexico or Canada. Mexico is not that near from Chicago and flights are expensive. For Canada a visitor visa is required. So, simple way according to me is to file an I539 with supporting documents and fee. This saves time, unnecessary travel and money.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Friends, 

here is my situation 

Passport expired on Nov 15 2014 and got my new passport now 
I 94 on my old passport expired on Nov 15 2014 

I have a pending 485, Valid EAD, and a valid H1B and i am currently continuing on my H1B status. 

When i last visited India, CBP officer specifically mentioned that he would provide I 94 up to PP expiry date and i should go to local CBP office with my new PP to extend the I 94 until my H1 validity. 

Below seems to be SFO CBP office (Deferred inspection) address, Anyone went thru similar situation? I will probably call them and find out if an appointment is necessary. Please let me know if you see any red flags.  

U.S. Customs and Border Protection 
630 Sansome St. Room 1185 
San Francisco, CA 94111-2280 

Thank you 
Kris

Hi Friends, 

here is my situation 

Passport expired on Nov 15 2014 and got my new passport now 

I 94 on my old passport expired on Nov 15 2014 

I have a pending 485, Valid EAD, and a valid H1B and i am currently continuing on my H1B status. 

When i last visited India, CBP officer specifically mentioned that he would provide I 94 up to PP expiry date and i should go to local CBP office with my new PP to extend the I 94 until my H1 validity. 

Below seems to be SFO CBP office (Deferred inspection) address, Anyone went thru similar situation? I will probably call them and find out if an appointment is necessary. Please let me know if you see any red flags.  

U.S. Customs and Border Protection 

630 Sansome St. Room 1185 

San Francisco, CA 94111-2280 

Thank you 

Kris

Today i checked in deferred immigration and they told we need to move out of country for I94 renewal after getting new passport. I got new passport. Any one is planning to San Diego / Mexico border for I94 renewal so that i can join with them.