Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi kumar && enjoy007,

Me and my friend we took a car and drove from LA to 2525 Otay Center Dr, San Diego, CA 92154 (near Otay Mesa Border). Parking is free at this location.

And there is a walkway to cross to Mexico border. I crossed the border by walk. Its just a 5 min walk. Once you get into Mexico there will be no checking or no border officer or no red stamps. 

And I asked a nearby taxi driver about how to go to US Customs. He told me to cross the road(you can cross the road same like in India) and walk back.

I went to the POE and there is a 20 minute wait time. And the officer asked me the reason to come to US. I told him that I crossed the border today and coming back to get an updated I-94. He took both of the passports, I-797, looked at the Visa validity, asked basic questions like which company, what's your role and he simply swiped my passport and told me to get into the US.

I walked out of the building and verified I-94 online and its still showing the expired status. So I went back to another officer and told me I need a new I-94 for my H1 renewal. He gave me a I-94 slip and I went to the counter, paid $6 and got a blank I-94.

I was asked to go to I-94 renewal room and I waited for 30 minutes to meet a lady officer. She took both of my passports, entered the data onto the screen, became cautious suddenly and started whispering to the other officer saying that I-94 expired and it was showing 3 years(I was scared little bit as my I-94 expired 9 months back and could lead to 3 years ban).

I immediately reacted and gave I-797 copy which has I-94 validity, employment letter, my profile and my manager profile. The other officer looked at my I-797 copy and told this lady officer he has a valid 797 and I-94 and he was good to go.

I quickly filled out I-94 form and gave it to the officer. Now she started asking me when are you going to depart from US(my visa valid for 3 weeks only)???why you need new I-94? why you came to Mexico?? 

I took a breath and elaborated more about my situation. Said my passport expired, got new passport, employer filing for extension, need new I-94 for new Passport,  going back and forth from India is expensive so came to mexico. Once i get an I-94, I will apply for extension. If approved, will go back to my country, get a visa and come back to US else will move to India. Finally she got convinced and I got tired explaining to her as she doesn't know much information about H1B extension.

Finally got the updated I-94. This whole process took 2 hours for me went to border at 9.30 AM came back at 11.30 AM.

Hi, I renewed my passport in USA.

My I94 expires on oct 2016 which is the expiry date of the old passport..

I live in Chicago. I am looking for options to extend my i94 to my i797 expiry which is sept 2017.

kln & kumar1206

please provide your experience. I am planning to visit in August 6 weekend.

Hello Enjoy007,

I am also planning to visit Otay Mesa for I-94 extension on Aug 6th weekend from Chicago. let me know what's your plan and if we can go together.

Hello Enjoy007,

I am also planning to visit Otay Mesa for I-94 extension on Aug 6th weekend from Chicago. let me know what's your plan and if we can go together.

Even i am also planning to do the vist the sandiego border on that weekend. 

Did you try any other places in Chicago?

i tried ohare aiport and also CBP deferred inspection site in downtown chicago.

Even i am also planning to do the vist the sandiego border on that weekend. 

Did you try any other places in Chicago?

i tried ohare aiport and also CBP deferred inspection site in downtown chicago.

Hello enjoy007,

Even I tried CBP office downtown Chicago, there they mentioned that only two option for I-94 extension after passport renewal. either filing an extension or reentering USA. Can you please send me your email or contact number in to me. my email id in my profile.  

Hi,

I am also looking for extending my i-94 which is about to expire on Feb 2017 w.r.t Old passport validity. I have renewed my passport at SFO. I am having a valid i797 till 2018. I am from Fremont CA planning to visit Otay Mesa. Please ping me if any one else are planning from Bay Area.

hi

I switched from company A to B on receipt notice of H1b  visa but visa transfer was denied.

immediately I found company C which filed new petition and it got approved in premium.

So I got I 797 but without I 94.My Visa is stamped from A till Sep 2016.

My attorney asked me to go to Mexico and get I 94 while geting back in US.

Let me know for any issues if you guys know any or should I got to India for stamping ?

I am coming to San diego on 24th Dec eve . Let me know if some1 want to join.

Hi Sandeep,

My scenario is almost  same. Lost job at company A. Got job in company B after 2 months. H-1b applied via consular processing. Got I-797 without I-94. Can i cross the border at San Diego and get new I-94 from the CBP office? Can you share your experience? Its bit urgent. You can reply to my email **************@gmail.com

Thanks

Edited by MurthyAdmin
Members who wish to share their contact information may do so by updating their profile with the information they wish to share.

Hello Everyone,

I lost job at company A. Got job in company B after 2 months. H-1B applied in premium process via conuslar processing. I-797 approved without I-94. So can cross the border(Tijuana or any other) at San Diego and get new I-94? Is it same as going and joining the I-94 line and get new I-94? Is it the right way to do? It's bit urgent. anyone who experienced similar situation please share the details.

Thanks in advance,

Raj

Edited by RS257

Hi,

I am also looking for extending my i-94 which is about to expire on Feb 2017 w.r.t Old passport validity. I have renewed my passport at SFO. I am having a valid i797 till 2018. I am from Fremont CA planning to visit Otay Mesa. Please ping me if any one else are planning from Bay Area.

Hi,

When are you planning to travel? Am planning next week. Am from Milpitas. You can reply to my email ***********@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have got my I-94 renewed last Saturday at Otay Mesa border crossing in San Diego. Thank you all for the posts which helped me get it.

I drove all the way to the CBP office. The address is below

SENTRI / Global Entry - Otay Mesa Enrollment Centre.

2500 Paseo Internacional, San Diego, CA 92154

There is a McDonalds & Ihop at the entrance of the street where you can park your car for free. From there, the CBP office is only 5 min walk.

I didn't even have to cross the border. The security officer there told me that I can directly get the new I-94. So, directly went to the cashier counter on the US side, paid $6 and got a request form. Then stood in the I-94 queue and the officer issued me a new I-94.

FYI :

My case - I needed new I-94 to match my visa expiration date. My I-94 was expiring because of my old passport validity date.

Thanks

On Sunday (8/21), I have got my new i94 to match my I797 petition at Otay Mesa SENTRI/CBP office.

Thanks for all the posts in this forum as it helped me with knowledge and gave me lot of confidence. So, here is my contribution to this forum.

For i94 extension, i believe we don't need to cross the border. So, please check with officers there twice before crossing the border.

1. From Mc Donalds/ihop, it’s just 5 mins walk to CBP office. (Click here for Walking Path)
  2. As and when you enter the CBP building, you will see an i94 cashier counter in middle (you will see a board “I-94 Permit Cashier Counter”) and a line for Border crossing form/I94 permit at right side just there itself.
  3. Pay $6 in counter and take the receipt & form, and stand in line just next (at right side) to the cashier counter.
    Next steps you already know from above posts. :) Good luck!
On 8/24/2016 at 2:02 PM, ganeshinadvt said:

Hi Friends

My I 94 is getting expired in Oct 1st week due to passport expiry and have renewed a new passport... I m staying in NJ.. Any advices please on how to renew I943 

On 8/15/2016 at 9:46 PM, priyatham said:

Hi All,

I have got my I-94 renewed last Saturday at Otay Mesa border crossing in San Diego. Thank you all for the posts which helped me get it.

I drove all the way to the CBP office. The address is below

SENTRI / Global Entry - Otay Mesa Enrollment Centre.

2500 Paseo Internacional, San Diego, CA 92154

There is a McDonalds & Ihop at the entrance of the street where you can park your car for free. From there, the CBP office is only 5 min walk.

I didn't even have to cross the border. The security officer there told me that I can directly get the new I-94. So, directly went to the cashier counter on the US side, paid $6 and got a request form. Then stood in the I-94 queue and the officer issued me a new I-94.

FYI :

My case - I needed new I-94 to match my visa expiration date. My I-94 was expiring because of my old passport validity date.

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed steps ... I am planning to go next week for I-94 extension (due to passport expiration) .. should I just walk into the I-94 / Permits office or talk to any border officer ? Also, do they issue a paper I-94 or electronic or both ?

• 3 weeks later...

Very useful information on this thread. I got my i94 renewed on Sept17th at Otay mesa border.

- Parked my car at McDonald's 1520 Roll Dr, San Diego

- Walked on Roll Drive towards Border( 10 minutes walk) . There are stairs on your right side that goes directly to Mexico. Climb up the stairs and keep walking until you passed through 2 revolving metals gates.

- At this point, you are on Mexico land and there is no immigration/no check. Just keep walking straight for 5 minutes until you find no divider between the road and crossed the road to go on other side.

-After crossing the road, walk towards US side and enter into SENTRI/GLOBAL Entry office.

- Tell them that you are here for i-94 renewal and pay $6 at the cashier window and go to i-94 renewal room.

-Officers asked some general question and renewed my i-94. Took me 30 minutes for whole process

On 9/18/2016 at 2:06 PM, Sukhjeet Randhawa said:

Very useful information on this thread. I got my i94 renewed on Sept17th at Otay mesa border.

- Parked my car at McDonald's 1520 Roll Dr, San Diego

- Walked on Roll Drive towards Border( 10 minutes walk) . There are stairs on your right side that goes directly to Mexico. Climb up the stairs and keep walking until you passed through 2 revolving metals gates.

- At this point, you are on Mexico land and there is no immigration/no check. Just keep walking straight for 5 minutes until you find no divider between the road and crossed the road to go on other side.

-After crossing the road, walk towards US side and enter into SENTRI/GLOBAL Entry office.

- Tell them that you are here for i-94 renewal and pay $6 at the cashier window and go to i-94 renewal room.

-Officers asked some general question and renewed my i-94. Took me 30 minutes for whole process

Thank you everyone for the steps and posts. I followed these posts and was successfully able to get a new I-94.

Sukhjeet: my experience with the officers in the I-94 room was not as smooth as yours.

The officer asked me a lot of questions about why I am here and why I came all the way to OM to get the I-94. As per his experience, he used to work as USCIS field office in SF, I-94 extension should have been handled by USCIS field office and there would not have been any need to travel to OM for getting it. He also advised me that next time I am in such a situation, I should first visit the nearest USCIS field office first and then visit the border. So for folks who are planning to go next, may be you can check with your USCIS field office and see if they can help.

Also, does your new I-94 have your old passport number or new passport number associated with it ? For me, the officer used my old passport number so I was unable to generate my I-94 with the new passport number and had to use my old details to get the latest I-94.

And did they stamp your passport with arrival stamp or just gave you a white card (i-94) with arrival stamp in it ?

Appreciate your help ! 

And for folks who have any questions about going to Otay Mesa and process, feel free to unicast me for details.

Hi,

My husband is in L1 visa and his passport expires Nov 2016 hence he renewed his passport and got new passport now.  

But his i-94 validity is till Nov 2016 but his visa valid till 2018. 

We are planning to go to canada to get new I-94. 

Please let us know if we go via michigan to canada will CBP officer give new i-94 or we need to travel via flight.

What kind of visa we need to get to enter into canada. 

Please someone help us. We are not getting correct information to proceed. 

I got my I-94 renewed today on Sept 22 at Otay mesa border.

- Parked my car at ****'s Jr - so I saved a few bucks for parking 

- Walked towards Border ( 5 minutes walk) . There are stairs on your right side that goes directly to Mexico. Keep walking on the bridge until you passed through 2 revolving metals gates.

- At this point, you are on Mexico land and there is no immigration/no check. Just keep walking straight for 5 minutes until you find no divider between the road and cross the road to go on other side.

- Tell them that you are here for I-94 renewal and pay $6 at the cashier window and go to I-94 renewal room.

-Officers asked some general question and renewed my I-94.

Took me 45 minutes for whole process

I am European and in the US on a E-2 Visum and my I-94 was still valid until October 4 2016 - so actually good for about 2 more weeks

But to be safe - we went earlier to get a new I-94 - since I didn't want to do 1 second overstay !

Good luck to you all !

Edited by Kingair
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my I-94 renewed on 2nd Oct at Otay mesa border. Thank you everyone for the detailed posts.

Walked over the pedestrian bridge that goes directly to Mexico and then crossed the road to walk back US side, enter into SENTRI office.

Followed the I94 line which is on the left and paid $6 per head for I-94 renewal.

No specific questions and the officer just verified my I797 and US address proof to extend the I94.

The entire process took 30 to 40 mins, no crowd at all.

Edited by Pradeep14