Urgent-Is I-94 extension (after passport renewal) happening at Tijuana-Mexico OR Stopped !!!

Hi Guys,

My I-94 is expiring (MAR-2011) because of Passport expiring.

I renewed passport, so now i need to renew I-94.

In below forums i found that I-94 extension at Tijuana border is very easy.

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1024039761&f=7414019812&m=2351038981

So i was planning to go.

But today i saw this forum(go to down/last message)...Someone says

"now a days in Mexico and Canada they are not issuing a new i-94"

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1024039761&f=7414019812&m=7711060612

So is it that I-94 extension at Tijuana border has stopped/changed.

Is it true ? If anyone knows or has any info about that then please..please..please share here.

I am planning to visit this place soon, so i want to make sure that i will not get stuck.

Guys...PLEASE SHARE YOUR RECENT EXPERIENCES...

Also i would curious to know that if I do not get new I-94, then can i enter-back to USA from Tijuana border ??

Please reply me quickly.

Thanks

Rambabu

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my new I-94 from Tijuana border on 26th Jan 2011. So please do not believe that they have stopped giving I-94.

How is it possible that they Silently stopped giving I-94 on POE..

I posted my whole story few min back and hopefully administrator would approve it and you would be able to see it...:) Good luck

Hello Friends,

I finally got my new passport on Wednesday(one day after expiry). I flew to San Diego the same evening, tried my luck at the CBP office in San Diego International terminal but no success. The officer at the door gave me a reference of another officer who is in the deferred processing center in the downtown San Diego(Ash and India St intersection) and told me that he will help us. The next day morning I went to the referred CBP office and explained him about the situation but history repeated. The officer said that they dont issue a new I-94 unless they make a mistake and in my case it's not as I was traveling with a passport that has short validity and that it is my responsibility to have a valid one(who knew). Although the officer mentioned an interesting fact that I could have extended my stay by filing a form I-539( Application to extend status/Change of status) if I had a valid passport. I always though I would need to do that only for my wife who is on H-4 to extend her status. I then asked the officer if I would get one if I go to the border, he said they may or may not issue an I-94 but given the situation of having a valid I-797 and valid H-1B they should issue one he added. I then went to the Tijuana Mexican border parked my car on the US side crossed the bridge by foot to the Mexican Side and then took a U turn right into the US Side. Waited in the line for permits for 1.5hrs went inside the officer seemed to be very strict. He threw the Old I-94's from both our passports cross checked the Visa stamps vs I-797 for dates and names and then issued us new I-94s. The funny thing is he never looked at my new passport. At that moment we felt so relieved. It seems like each officer in the USCIS/CBP/CIS departments have a slight variance in looking at things and enforcing the rules/laws. very few people are polite and understanding and most aren't, behave very rude

Moral of the story is don't leave your hope until and unless you try all the possible ways before calling it quits. Something will definitely work.

Originally posted by S_K_A:

I got my new I-94 from Tijuana border on 26th Jan 2011.

Sure they do. They issue I-94s at all the border crossings if necessary. It costs $6 or so.

But most people who go through there already have an I-94, so it is rare, and you have to talk with the officer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

i am planning to go to tijuana border next week for my i-94 extension at Tijuana after passport renewal.

@Sunny, @S_K_A or anyone who recently went to tijuana border for i-94 extension, could you please give ur email id. i have couple questions to clarify.

i just wanted to know, do we need mexican visa or permit to cross tijuana mexican border.( i have valid us visa till sep 2012.)

Hi guys,

I am in H1b and have a valid visa stamp till february,2013 and now i'm changing to another company. The new company applied for H1 transfer and extension, it got approved but extension was denied (I797B without I94).This could be because my employer processed my Jan(2011) salary along with Feb(2011) salary and generated only Feb payslip which mentioned the Jan salary as arrear. So my attorney is saying to go to mexico or canada and re-enter(without stamping) so that i'll get a new I94.

I'm planning to go to Tijuana, Mexico next week.I have the below concerns:

1) What are the chances that my entry will be denied at POE?

2) What are the documents that I have to take with me?

3) Do I need a visa to cross the border at Tijuana?

4) Will I need to show my latest 2 month payslips?

5) My wife is with me in US in H4 visa. Should I take her with me for getting the new I94.

Please reply. Also, please share your experiences while crossing the border and getting new i94.

• 1 month later...

I am also in similar situation as others.My I94 is expiring in November, 2011 where as my 797 is till september 2012. Got my passport renewed and planning to go to TIJUANA border in San Diego on 23rd April, 2011. Will post my experience. Before that if any body has any important points to share with me request you to share it and help me before i go on this saturday. Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Ravi

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Tijuana, Mexico. I have my I-94 fixed in that country. Officers are all very accommodating. Just be ready with documents pertaining to you and your job so when they ask for it you have them.

You will easily find the office because you can see their posting "I-94" and "Permits". Go to that line and your problem will be solved.

I got my I-94 last APRIL 30, 2011. Go Now!!!

• 4 weeks later...