Photo

Name Change in N-400...can it be changed before Oath?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patepn

patepn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi!

My spouse just passed Citizenship interview a week ago but she was told that she would get her oath invitation letter in 3 months because she has applied to "Change of Name" in N-400. But now due to this long waiting for Oath, she does not want to "Change her Name" so that she can get her oath. Is it possible to do so? If yes, how?

#2 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,260 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

She would have had to change that at the interview. Too late now.
The reason for the delay is that only a court can approve a name change. For name changes during naturalization, the oath ceremony double as a court session. A judge is actually presiding the oath ceremony. And judges have other obligations as well, so the oath ceremony has to fit into their schedule.
Why the rush, anyway? A couple more weeks of waiting doesn't make much difference.

#3 Rajma

Rajma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi Patepn,
ASAP after the naturalization cermony, you have to inform the social security administration, your employers, HR (human resources), the IRS, credit card companies...about your new name.
Start compiling that list.

#4 member08

member08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

I am actually in the same situation. My wife recently received her citizenship and we did not change her wife's last name. Is there any way we can actually do it later. Any reponse would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#5 JoeF

JoeF

Got helped? Now help !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,260 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

I am actually in the same situation. My wife recently received her citizenship and we did not change her wife's last name. Is there any way we can actually do it later. Any reponse would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Of course, name changes are possible after naturalization. It just is a bit more complicated, and costs some money.
In the case of a married couple just wanting to have the same last name, I think it is pretty easy, just with the marriage certificate. But I don't know the details of that.
For other name changes, that goes through he local district court. The name change has to be advertised in newspapers, and then the court will issue a name change order.

#6 member08

member08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Thank you very much and really appreciate for your response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users