Photo

Getting a job with Class A Misdemeanor ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Hello Everyone

I am on OPT and just got an offer for a software job on a contract basis at a major company. I am convicted of Class A Misdemeanor for theft. They sent me some forms for background check. This is my first job and I am so worried if I will go through this or not.

I know my name will come when they do background check, since I have a class A Misdemeanor.. but is there any way, I can get this job, by telling the employer about my Misdemeanor now itself and explain how I learnt from that and how it changed my life from there on? I want to be honest and want to give it a best shot. I know whatever happened was wrong, but I just need a second chance to start my life from scratch.

Please guys any input will be appreciated. Any prior experiences? Please someone help me or guide me.

#2 sam4451

sam4451

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

If you were convicted then its definitely would show up when they do background check. Only possibility is that if the county court database is not synched up yet. My criminal attorney told me that sometimes it might take upto a month for the database to synch up. Also if your employer is using one of the agencies who is using public database vendors (e.g Intellius etc), it might take even more time to get it synched up with the vendor databases (as they get updated every 2-3 months). Once you check the box on the application "Have you ever been convicted of crime related to XXXXX etc?" you would have to provide the details.I suggest you be very open about it - provide lessons you learnt and how you have improved yourself. Once you have done what is in your control, just pray and leave it upto the god and supernatural powers.

I switched jobs 3 months back while my case was pending (case is still pending). Since I was not convicted, I said "No" to the conviction question in the application form. They took 2-3 weeks more for my background check to come back. I don't know what exactly came back but the recruiter told me that its all clear.

#3 t75

t75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

It may or may not make a difference. The fact it was for theft is a big issue for certain types of employers. Face it, you may be starting your career in your home country. You US degree was never a guarantee for a job, and this economy, an employer can be very picky about who he wants to hire.

#4 pontevecchio

pontevecchio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31,616 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Maybe too late. But call your Future Boss and tell him.

#5 DR_2011

DR_2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Originally posted by feeling.sorry:
Hello Everyone

I am on OPT and just got an offer for a software job on a contract basis at a major company. I am convicted of Class A Misdemeanor for theft. They sent me some forms for background check. This is my first job and I am so worried if I will go through this or not.

I know my name will come when they do background check, since I have a class A Misdemeanor.. but is there any way, I can get this job, by telling the employer about my Misdemeanor now itself and explain how I learnt from that and how it changed my life from there on? I want to be honest and want to give it a best shot. I know whatever happened was wrong, but I just need a second chance to start my life from scratch.

Please guys any input will be appreciated. Any prior experiences? Please someone help me or guide me.

Consult an attorney to see if it can be expunged now. Generally there is a statute - but if u present enough convincing reason, it can get expunged also.

#6 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:09 AM

Quote {Consult an attorney to see if it can be expunged now. Generally there is a statute - but if u present enough convincing reason, it can get expunged also.}Quote

That is not an option in my case, as I did that theft in one of the states, that doesn't offer expungement. Only option I have is pardon from governor, which I think is very rare.

Thanks

#7 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

Quote{It may or may not make a difference. The fact it was for theft is a big issue for certain types of employers. Face it, you may be starting your career in your home country. You US degree was never a guarantee for a job, and this economy, an employer can be very picky about who he wants to hire}Quote

I understand that I committed crime, but when how can one judge a person just because a single incident?

Even bill gates had a misdemeanor, president bush had DUI....

Everyone deserves a second chance, may be not third or fourth... Whatever happened in my life was very unfortunate and happened, when I was very young.

All I am asking is just give me second chance god, I want to live as a law abiding citizen for rest of my life.

#8 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 01:22 AM

Quote{If you were convicted then its definitely would show up when they do background check. Only possibility is that if the county court database is not synched up yet. My criminal attorney told me that sometimes it might take upto a month for the database to synch up. Also if your employer is using one of the agencies who is using public database vendors (e.g Intellius etc), it might take even more time to get it synched up with the vendor databases (as they get updated every 2-3 months). Once you check the box on the application "Have you ever been convicted of crime related to XXXXX etc?" you would have to provide the details.I suggest you be very open about it - provide lessons you learnt and how you have improved yourself. Once you have done what is in your control, just pray and leave it upto the god and supernatural powers.

I switched jobs 3 months back while my case was pending (case is still pending). Since I was not convicted, I said "No" to the conviction question in the application form. They took 2-3 weeks more for my background check to come back. I don't know what exactly came back but the recruiter told me that its all clear.}

Very lucky for you. Unfortunately I am not. Lets say, I got a job offer through middle vendor, who should I talk to about this? middle vendor right...?

#9 sam4451

sam4451

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

Talk to middle person - explain the situation. Request him that you would like to get a chance to explain it to the original hiring manager as well. Alternatively, if you have access to him directly (and your middle person is ok with your doing so) you can explain it to him directly and update the middle person as well.

#10 DR_2011

DR_2011

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

That is not an option in my case, as I did that theft in one of the states, that doesn't offer expunge. Only option I have is pardon from governor, which I think is very rare.

Thanks

Did you talk to any attorney about this or did you get this information from some where. I suggest that even in those states where they do not overlook, there are chances that it might be ordered sealed - you should seriously talk to a senior attorney.

#11 MalcolmX

MalcolmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Pardon by governor is only for felonies and not misdemeanors.

Only option I have is pardon from governor, which I think is very rare.

Thanks

#12 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

guys, I lost the job

#13 MalcolmX

MalcolmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

Sorry to hear that dude. Good luck to you. Hope something else works out for your.

guys, I lost the job

#14 MalcolmX

MalcolmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

I meant "Hope something else works out for you". Sorry about the typo.

Originally posted by MalcolmX:
Sorry to hear that dude. Good luck to you. Hope something else works out for your.

guys, I lost the job

#15 sam4451

sam4451

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

sorry to hear that. did they deny you after you told them about the incident? What exactly did they tell you?

#16 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:49 AM

They were really moved by my letter, but they had a strict policy of 3 years for misdemeanor convictions, and I have just passed 1 year 6 months.
This is a very big company. they asked me to try after 18 months.

#17 MalcolmX

MalcolmX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:38 AM

Things look gloomy for you right now but there seems to be some hope for you if you can wait out the remainder of that period though it is unrealistic to say that opportunity would still be there. I dont know you but my prayers and thoughts are with you. Cheer up.

They were really moved by my letter, but they had a strict policy of 3 years for misdemeanor convictions, and I have just passed 1 year 6 months.
This is a very big company. they asked me to try after 18 months.

#18 sam4451

sam4451

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

I tend to disagree with t75. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. People learn from their mistakes. No one is perfect - some of the most successful people have done mistakes in the past and have learnt from those which has taken them to new heights.

There are companies for whom a misdem is not much of an issue after ayear has . I suggest you to keep all your options open (in US and outside). Try small companies as they are more flexible. Keep trying you will find something. Don't give up.

#19 feeling.sorry

feeling.sorry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks sam4451. At least someone is there who understand's my pain. Thanks to everyone. for their advises.

MalcolmX--- I think pardon varies from state to state.... In the state, I was convicted.. they don't have any expungement for a criminal convictions. But one can apply pardon after 5 years, I guess..

Yeah , right now I can't do anything except for keep looking for jobs that will give me an opportunity, irrespective of my misdemeanor.

T-75... Whatever your opinions are, please keep them to yourself. I have not done any murder for godsake... It was a silly mistake... which i did, when I was young.... and I think even god will give me a second chance, seeing my plight.

Thanks Everyone.
God bless

#20 cowboys26

cowboys26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:47 AM

Originally posted by sam4451:
I tend to disagree with t75. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. People learn from their mistakes. No one is perfect - some of the most successful people have done mistakes in the past and have learnt from those which has taken them to new heights.

Its true that people make mistakes, but how can you explain shop lifting as just a petty offense? It can be considered a serious offense (even if the theft is very small in terms of monetary value...there are people on the forum who shop lifted for 3 dollars ). The reason is that most shop lifters if they weren't caught, would have tried to shop lift again and again.Its only a matter of time .They are bound to get caught at sometime..Unfortunately unless the punishment is harsh,ppl will continue to do it.....

I am not trying to knock down the OP.His/her hope is to find employers that dont do a BG check (there are quite a few of them)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users