Process to add surname in indian passport

rajasoorya_kc

Hi,

I am currently working in US on H1-B. My passport has just a given name XXX (which is my first name) and the surname field is blank. Hence my visa has my name as "FNU XXX". I managed to get my SSN with the same name format. But i would like to change the name in my indian passport now so that it'd reflect in my ssn too. All my educational documents have my name as "XXX C" where C is my initial. I would like to have it expanded as my surname so that my name would be "XXX Chan". What is the procedure to do this? Should i circulate an ad in the newspapers for this? How would the process take?

I had the same issue and fixed all 2 years back.

Mine was just splitting name ex: my last name is xxx and first name is yyy, I had both together in the passoprt and so my visa came as FNU then full name. If your issue is something different please disregard the following

First of all, you need to correct this in your passport, visit embassy site, it is same as the application for renewal, make sure you state clearly that you need name splitting (I guess you need just name split and no change)

You will need an affidavit(form is available in embassy site)attested by notary (bank will do it for free.Then send all these(use tracking) along with other relevant copies(per emabsyy site) and original passport to your nearest embassy (you can go in person and get this in the same day).

You will receive new passport with Last name and First name. I got the passport back in mail within 10 days (not sure about current delay).

Once you receive your corrected passport visit SS office and correct your name in the social security card. They will keep your orginal card and send you corrected card(they won't be change in the SSN).

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by mirali36:

Hi,

you can just apply for name correction in any of the Indian Embassies in US. You will get your passport with name corrected in 1 week

Is that just observation added in the existing passport? Do we need any supporting documents for the name split? Please answer

Archived