12 replies to this topic

#1 sonaku2003

sonaku2003

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:21 AM

Hi,

I do not have a valid US visa on my passport(planning to appear for stamping in India). Is there any restriction on certain countries that I cannot choose them as a layover on my way to India. For instance,I was told that I cannot travel to India via British airways as it requires a stop in London. Is this true ?

Please advice.

#2 livliv

livliv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:04 AM

You can travel through any country, but some countries (like UK) require transit visas if you don't have US Visa.
Direct flights from the US or flights through the middle-east countries are possible without transit visa.

#3 Gobol

Gobol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:01 AM

Yes Indian Citizens cannot travel through London without a Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV)

But below is a list of people who are exempt from Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) requirement regardless of their nationality

Passengers exempt from the DATV requirement

Holders of certain documents are, regardless of nationality, exempt from the requirement to hold a Direct Airside Transit Visa when transiting the UK.

A transit passenger is not required to hold a transit visa if he holds, or a person with whom he arrives in the United Kingdom holds on his behalf:

1. a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which the visa is held;
2. a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country for which the visa is held to another country or territory;
3. a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, provided that the transit passenger does not seek to transit the United Kingdom on a date more than six months from the date on which they last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for entry to that country;
4. a valid USA I-551 Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 21st April 1998;
5. a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28th June 2002;
6. a valid common format Category D visa for entry to an EEA State;
7. a valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA State pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002;
8. a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China; or
9. a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or
10. a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Since you said you do not have a stamped US visa in your passport you need to get DATV to transit through London. Thanks.

Gobol

#4 sandesh.krishnan

sandesh.krishnan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 05:21 AM

I am traveling through London for my stamping for H1.

I have a F1 visa valid till 2012, but since I got my H1 approved will it be an issue if I travel through London ?

Please advice. Thanks !

#5 mani01

mani01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hi Sandesh Krishnan,

I am in the same situation. I am going to India to get my H-1B stamped.I have a layover for 4 hrs in london-heathrow. I have valid (F-1)Visa stamped till Dec 2011. Can you pls share your experience. It would be quite helpful.

Thanks....

#6 H1VisaRenewal

H1VisaRenewal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

I am in the same situation. My Visa has expired.
Can I travel through Abu Dhabi? Is a transit visa required.
Thanks.

#7 aceeca

aceeca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Transit VISA for Abu Dhabi is *not* required

#8 kup0009

kup0009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:41 AM

Hi,

I am traveling to India in February with Stopover at frankfurt for 4 hrs. I entered United States on H4 Visa (Valid till May 2011, stamped on passport) and transfered to H1 Visa recently (having I-797 Approval, not stamped on passport), my travel agent told that I need to have a transit visa to travel thru Germany since passport is not stamped with H1 Visa. Can you please confirm if I need to have a transit Visa.

Thanks,
Kotha

#9 mumbai007

mumbai007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

kup0009 - i see you posted this question on several posts here and i am also in the same situation flying to Hyd from Atl and this is what i have found upon talking with a representative from germany consulate office that if we don't have a valid US visa stamped on our passport then we do require a transit visa for Frankfort and it takes 3 - 5 business days to get that as you need to submit the application in person. Just Google for Germany consulate and you can find all the info there. But only thing confuses me is that ma frd went to india thru frankfort in Oct 2010 and he neither had a transit visa nor h1b stamped on his passport and no hickups for him.

Would greatly appreciate if you can reply to this post after your journey and let us know.

#10 kup0009

kup0009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:23 AM

I checked with travel agent, they said its fine as far as u have valid visa stamping...

#11 share_info

share_info

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:42 AM

If you are travelling back to your home country, you don't need a transit visa/US visa to travel through Frankfurt, Germany. Merely your passport should be sufficient.

Read the content from the Germany embassy using the below link. (Read the point number 2 in the Exceptions list)

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Country__List__Visa.html

All the best!!

#12 GC2008

GC2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobol:
Yes Indian Citizens cannot travel through London without a Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV)

But below is a list of people who are exempt from Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV) requirement regardless of their nationality

Passengers exempt from the DATV requirement

Holders of certain documents are, regardless of nationality, exempt from the requirement to hold a Direct Airside Transit Visa when transiting the UK.

A transit passenger is not required to hold a transit visa if he holds, or a person with whom he arrives in the United Kingdom holds on his behalf:

1. a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which the visa is held;
2. a valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from the country for which the visa is held to another country or territory;
3. a valid airline ticket for travel via the United Kingdom as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, provided that the transit passenger does not seek to transit the United Kingdom on a date more than six months from the date on which they last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for entry to that country;
4. a valid USA I-551 Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 21st April 1998;
5. a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28th June 2002;
6. a valid common format Category D visa for entry to an EEA State;
7. a valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA State pursuant to Council Regulation (EC) No. 1030/2002;
8. a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China; or
9. a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or
10. a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Since you said you do not have a stamped US visa in your passport you need to get DATV to transit through London. Thanks.

Gobol[/QUOTE]

Item 9 Says
9. a diplomatic or official passport issued by India;

Means if you have indian Passpert then you don't need Transit Visa.

#13 jimiparekh

jimiparekh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Anybody have experience of travelling with expired US visa, but with valid Canadian PR ? I want to travel from US to India via London (US visa expired), but I am a canadian PR. As per the above list Canadian PR is a valid document to transit through london. Anybody used canadian PR for transit via London?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users