3 replies to this topic

#1 fivestar

fivestar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

Hi,

This is for L2 Dependent Visa based on I-94 Validity. I came to US Oct-2010 and had Visa till Sep-2011 but at the port of entry they gave I-94 validity till Oct-2013. Visa and I-94 validity details as below

My L1B-Blanket Visa Expiry Date: 30-Sep-2011
My Wife's L2 Visa Expiry Date: 30-Sep-2011

Petition Validity: Valid Indefinitely

My I-94 Expiry date: 16-Oct-2013
My Wife's I-94 Expiry Date: 16-Oct-2013.

My wife want to go back to India for Vacation for 3 weeks starting October 2011.

1. Is there any possibilities to process L2 visa based on my I-94 validity?
2. Am I eligible to work after my Visa expires?

Please advice!!!!

Appreciate your help on this....

Thanks...

#2 t75

t75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Visa is only for entry; I-94 determines legal stay. You may work until the earlier of the expiration of your work approval or I-94 (usually they are the same). Your wife will need new stamping based on your valid approval document.

You really need to understand your rights and responsibilities as this is a very basic question that all guest workers and dependents should know.

#3 Attorney_23

Attorney_23

Attorney

• Attorney
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

A visa is only used to enter the U.S. So, if a person in L-1 status is in the U.S. with a valid I-94 but an expired visa, that generally does not present any problems. That person may continue to live and work in the U.S. When that person travels, they would have to apply for a new visa abroad to re-enter the U.S.

If the consulate issued your visa in Oct-2010, I am not entirely clear as to why it was limited to Sept-2011. You may wish to contact an attorney to review your situation in detail and provide you with guidance.

#4 fivestar

fivestar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

Thanks for your reply. I just want to clarify about for my 2nd question since I read somewhere in this forum saying I cant work after my visa/petition expiry.

For the 1st question, in my office they mentioned that they can not process my wife new visa since both my petition and visa expires in Sep 2011. any comments/suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users