Change of Status: F2 to F1

Sj15

I have applied for change of status from F2 to F1 in March and there is no change in my status yet! My college starts on September 7th. I have the following concerns:

1. Currently they are processing cases as of March 17 ( hasn't changed since 2 months). my case was received on March 22. In your opinion, By September 7 would my case be processed?

2. My husband's H1 got picked this year(in May 2017, after my COS case was received). Would this create an issue in approving my change of status to F1?? 

3.So, if my status does not change and I go to india for applying F1 visa, what are the chances of getting  a F1 visa? This is for University of Michigan 

4. Now that my husband's status has changed to H1. Will my visa status automatically change to H4? If not, can i get a H4 visa stamped in india without my husband getting his H1 stamped?

Thanking you in advance for answering my queries.

1. They cannot change your status before August,7 irrespective of when you applied.

2. He remains in F1 status till October,1 when his H1 starts. So you could have your status change done in August.

3. Very likely. A well known Institution and if your required scores are Good, there should be no problem.

4. You can only get a H4 visa stamped after he changes status to H1 on October,1.

I would suggest getting the F1 visa in India and entering up to 30 days before classes.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:49 PM, Sj15 said:

I have applied for change of status from F2 to F1 in March and there is no change in my status yet! My college starts on September 7th. I have the following concerns:

1. Currently they are processing cases as of March 17 ( hasn't changed since 2 months). my case was received on March 22. In your opinion, By September 7 would my case be processed?

2. My husband's H1 got picked this year(in May 2017, after my COS case was received). Would this create an issue in approving my change of status to F1?? 

3.So, if my status does not change and I go to india for applying F1 visa, what are the chances of getting  a F1 visa? This is for University of Michigan 

4. Now that my husband's status has changed to H1. Will my visa status automatically change to H4? If not, can i get a H4 visa stamped in india without my husband getting his H1 stamped?

Thanking you in advance for answering my queries.

My case is exactly same. My college starts on 18 September. I have applied for COS in mid-may. Keep me updated about your case update. Keeping fingers crossed. 

On 7/27/2017 at 1:09 AM, KetakiS said:

My case is exactly same. My college starts on 18 September. I have applied for COS in mid-may. Keep me updated about your case update. Keeping fingers crossed. 

My case got approved today. Keep checking the processing time on the USCIS website. You will get a fair idea on how long for your case to be processed. Mine took 4months+1week to be processed.

• 3 months later...

I got an admission for jan 2018 and my COS case was accepted on August 14 2017. When I called Uscis they said they are still working on March 2017 applications.

1. Should I go to India n get the visa done or should I wait?  If I go to India n worst case if my f1 is rejected will I be able to travel back on f2?

2. If I join on f2 and later on if my case is accepted can I continue on f1? 

Thanking you in advance for helping me out 

Archived