Visitor Visa for parents got rejected.

Pragathi

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen, working on TN Visa in the USA. I had applied the USA visiting visa to my parents and got rejected. The reason of rejection was, they are expecting a letter from US Government about my permit or status in the USA. But while on TN stamping, I have not received any such letter from the Border except TN stamping. My parents provided a copy of my passport with TN stamp on it, SSN, Payslips, Bank funds letter, an invitation letter to parents, letter to the consulate, I-94, I-134, Bank statements. After googling understood that they are expecting a letter something like I-797, but as we are on TN visa, I will not be eligible to get that letter. Kindly let me know which letter should I need to provide them.  Thanks, Pragathi

They are possibly under a misapprehension. Your status is not relevant to the visit. Every consulate Officer knows Canadian Citizens get their visas at the border. Let them apply without any "supporting" Documents from you and without talking to anybody including any "agent" At the most send them a letter about your job.

First, you didn't apply for a visa for your parents. THEY applied for a visa.

Second, you need the exact rejection reason. Your parents should have gotten a letter and a code (law reference) with it, which would indicate the reason for denial. They won't say something as vague as "letter from the US government."

Ask your parents about the actual denial letter, and what's listed there. Get a copy of that letter, and then you may want to check with a lawyer. Forget googling about a "letter from the US government" and guessing at what it may mean.

10 hours ago, Pragathi said:

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen, working on TN Visa in the USA. I had applied the USA visiting visa to my parents and got rejected. The reason of rejection was, they are expecting a letter from US Government about my permit or status in the USA. But while on TN stamping, I have not received any such letter from the Border except TN stamping. My parents provided a copy of my passport with TN stamp on it, SSN, Payslips, Bank funds letter, an invitation letter to parents, letter to the consulate, I-94, I-134, Bank statements. After googling understood that they are expecting a letter something like I-797, but as we are on TN visa, I will not be eligible to get that letter. Kindly let me know which letter should I need to provide them.  Thanks, Pragathi

Sorry about that. TN visa hold is not allowed to sponsor any visa applications . You could sponsor anyone into the US  ONLY if the applicant resides in Canada. I did The same thing like 18 yrs ago for my family. They got rejected and I was told to apply for them thorough Canada.

4 hours ago, akinmike said:

Sorry about that. TN visa hold is not allowed to sponsor any visa applications . You could sponsor anyone into the US  ONLY if the applicant resides in Canada. I did The same thing like 18 yrs ago for my family. They got rejected and I was told to apply for them thorough Canada.

So you mean to say I can't sponser my parents who are in india to USA. and few yrs back when i was living in canada, from there i sponsered usa visiting visa to my parents, and my parents were also there with me in Canada, but they rejected it mentioning to apply from india.

Thanks

1 hour ago, pontevecchio said:

There is NO concept of sponsorship as far as Tourist visas to the USA are concerned. They should apply on their own even if somebody else is paying for the trip.

what is the difference if they are applying on their own or if i apply?

12 hours ago, JoeF said:

First, you didn't apply for a visa for your parents. THEY applied for a visa.

Second, you need the exact rejection reason. Your parents should have gotten a letter and a code (law reference) with it, which would indicate the reason for denial. They won't say something as vague as "letter from the US government."

Ask your parents about the actual denial letter, and what's listed there. Get a copy of that letter, and then you may want to check with a lawyer. Forget googling about a "letter from the US government" and guessing at what it may mean.

ok. My parents received a rejection 214 letter, but which is a common letter to give to all. But the actual reason which US Consulate communicated to my parents was they asked a letter/visa from US Gov which shows my permit of work in USA. But as far as I know, TN people will not have any such letter.

8 hours ago, Pragathi said:

what is the difference if they are applying on their own or if i apply?

It is not possible for you to apply for a visitor visa for somebody else.

THEY sign the documents, that means THEY apply. You may help them fill out the paperwork, but THEY apply.

7 hours ago, Pragathi said:

ok. My parents received a rejection 214 letter, but which is a common letter to give to all. But the actual reason which US Consulate communicated to my parents was they asked a letter/visa from US Gov which shows my permit of work in USA. But as far as I know, TN people will not have any such letter.

"214 letter" is still vague. There are lots of different subsections of the Immigration and Nationality Act Section 214 (which that refers to.)

The subsection matters. As I said, get a copy of that letter. All communication from the consulate would be listed on that letter.

7 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

There was a communication mix up. No Consulate Official will ask for a letter from the US Government.

Did you use an agent?

Since they are applying for a tourist visa, you have no standing in the matter.

Are you working as a direct hire or in layers?

I have not used any agents. I had directly applied from the USA by paying the fees and signed all the required documents and sent to my parents.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a canadian citizen and currently working on tn visa in USA past one year.My husband is a H1 -B holder.Both of us sent an invitation letter to my mother to visit USA.My mother lives in India and went for her usa visiting visa interview in india but got rejected twice.She is a single parent.The questions asked by the officer were:

Who are you visiting  in USA?

Daughter and son in law 

Can i see your daughters passport?

Yes

OH ur daughter is a canadian?

Yes

Why dint you visit canada before?: She was studying so wanted to take me once she was settled but she got maried and left to usa ..now she wants me to visit usa and show me places 

Is she ur only daughter?

Yes

SORRY I can't give you the visa.

And gave her 214 letter.

Please advise me what i should do to apply for her next time..i want to make sure she gets it this time.she has self sponsored herself and shown bank statements with property but the interviewer is always seeing my passport and rejecting her.please help!!!

Archived