After name change impacts after naturalization

RR_San

Hello,

I am about to submit my N400 application for naturalization. I have lengthy name, i thought of changing it and i am sure of the process.

If i do a name change, i am planning to go back and work in India for couple of years after getting the Citizenship for personal reasons.

The problem that can to my mind is I have to use the new name for new PAN card for Banking transactions and India Income tax( i have a PAN card with Old name i have filed tax there earlier for 8 years). And to the new employer in India i have to use my new name, he may deduct the local taxes there.

(I know i have to file my federal tax in US after getting the Citizenship) 

Any help or thoughts on this name change is needed or stay with the old name...

Appreciate your response.

• 1 month later...

I did a name change and here are my thoughts on this:

1) Check if the region (county) where you live allow a name change during naturalization. If you live in an area where the oath ceremony is administered by a judge in a court then its possible but otherwise you will need to do this through a court.

2) If you have submitted the N400 application and your region does not allow name change then move the court and get your desired name.

3) Bring the name change document with a copy for the interview and inform them of it. You will receive your naturalization certificate with your new name.

4) You can use the same name change document to change your name in the PAN card.

5) As for taxes you will need to consult a tax guy because there are laws about taxes being filed in two countries that you need to be careful about.

It is certainly true that one loses Indian Citizenship after becoming an US Citizen. But people of Indian Origin as defined by the Indian Parliament/constitution can get what is known as the OCI and except for voting and possessing Agricultural Land, these people with OCI are treated the same as people with Indian Citizenship and are allowed to work in India with NO limitations.

Archived