Started internship a week prior to CPT authorization date

Adones

Dear Forum Members,

I require your advise about my CPT authorization. I had applied for CPT authorization and I was told by the academic advisor that it would be approved in a day. So I informed the joining date to the company and began my CPT internship. The advisor then told me that the CPT approval process is taking longer than expected and would take anywhere from 5 to 7 days. My CPT is approved but with a start date a week later than when I had officially started working.

I had filled out the form I9 on the first day of joining. My employer had entered my details in the E-verify system and got a tentative non-confirmation (TNC) from the system. Once I knew that I might not be eligible to work before CPT start date, I informed the company HR. I had requested them to terminate my employment and rehire me on CPT start date. The HR said they would consult with the company attorney and let me know. 

I am worried that the company might report my E-verify case to USCIS and I might get in to trouble with my F1 visa status. Please advise me on what I need to do to correct this situation.  Appreciate your help.

Dear Forum Members, 

Would it be better if I submit my resignation instead of the employer terminating me for non-confirmation. If I submit my resignation, then will the employer close the e-verify case as employee resignation? I am ok with resigning myself. Please help me to understand if this is a better course of action from my end.

I received a notice from my employer stating that I can contest my E-verify tentative non confirmation (TNC). If I don't contest it, then the HR said that the TNC would be considered as final Non confirmation and my employment would be terminated. Please help me on what I need to do here. Whether I can contest since I have CPT authorization?. I don't want to make any mistake here. Please help me.

I want to update that I had resigned from my internship. The employer has accepted my resignation. Now, I don't have to respond to the Tentative Non-Confirmation E-Verify notice that my employer gave me since I had resigned voluntarily and I am no longer an employee. Since the employer accepted my resignation I think they would close my E-Verify case as employee voluntary resignation.

I would be contacting my DSO tomorrow to inform that I am no longer working on CPT. Just wanted to understand if there is anything more that is needed from my end? Please help me. Awaiting your response. Appreciate it.
17 hours ago, Adones said:
I want to update that I had resigned from my internship. The employer has accepted my resignation. Now, I don't have to respond to the Tentative Non-Confirmation E-Verify notice that my employer gave me since I had resigned voluntarily and I am no longer an employee. Since the employer accepted my resignation I think they would close my E-Verify case as employee voluntary resignation.

I would be contacting my DSO tomorrow to inform that I am no longer working on CPT. Just wanted to understand if there is anything more that is needed from my end? Please help me. Awaiting your response. Appreciate it.

Nothing else. You should be good.

4 hours ago, shekar11# said:

Nothing else. You should be good.

Thank you @shekar11#.  

I had informed the DSO of my resignation from the company. He is asking for an email contact from the company to verify my start and end dates of employment. I had contacted the company supervisor to ask for relieving letter, he had given me a system generated letter which has just the end date as my resignation date. I am worried that if I give the email address of the supervisor, I might be in trouble since the supervisor would give the start date which is before my CPT authorization date. 

I am thinking of submitting the system generated relieving letter that I got from my supervisor and informing the DSO that I don't have the contact email. Please advise if this would be better? Please help me as I need to get back to the DSO tomorrow. Appreciate your help.

You have to be truthful. A lie could result in a permanent ban.

USCIS knows the dates anyway. The company is required to report that.

So, rule #1: NEVER NEVER NEVER lie in immigration matters. It only makes a bad situation much worse.

Be an adult and own up to it.

Archived