L2 Visa Extension

chungath1983

Hello ,

My Name is Smitha.

I am on L2 Visa and residing in US. My Husband's visa is expiring on 15th Sep 2018 ( Completing 3 years)  and my L2 visa is granted only fro 2 years and it is expiring on 15 th Sep 2017. I got 1 year less than my husband's visa term. But my husband and I have I-94 valid until 20th Dec 2019

1. As I am approaching my visa expiration date, is there any process which can be followed to extend my Visa without exiting US ? 

2. If I am not extending my visa and let it expire, since I have a valid I-94, will it be a problem when My husband applies for renewal in 15 th Sep 2017. Can I apply with him when he renew?

3. We/Employer is planning to apply for green card in 2018 Jan,  Will there be any issue If I let my visa to expire now ? ( at that time My husband will have a valid L1 and I will be out of my visa status).

I politely ask for your suggestions.

Thanks

Smitha

1. The I94 lets you stay. You only need a visa to enter the country. Visas can only be obtained abroad.

2. Since he has presumably a blanket L1 there is no need and in any case his employer cannot file an extension one year before hand.

3. Your visa is only an entry document and has no relation to a GC filing.

To reiterate both of you can stay till December, 20 0f 2019. You will need a renewed visa if you travel home and return. Visa is an entry document. A L1 petition is the one filed by the employer for your spouse based on which he got a L1 visa and came over. You would seem to be worrying about nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

On 7/13/2017 at 10:27 PM, pontevecchio said:

1. The I94 lets you stay. You only need a visa to enter the country. Visas can only be obtained abroad.

2. Since he has presumably a blanket L1 there is no need and in any case his employer cannot file an extension one year before hand.

3. Your visa is only an entry document and has no relation to a GC filing.

To reiterate both of you can stay till December, 20 0f 2019. You will need a renewed visa if you travel home and return. Visa is an entry document. A L1 petition is the one filed by the employer for your spouse based on which he got a L1 visa and came over. You would seem to be worrying about nothing.

Thank you for your kind reply

Archived