H4 to F1

Logapriya

I am planning to change my visa status from H4 to F1 for my masters program starting this fall(August 2017). How long it takes for COS to F1 due to personal issues I can't travel to India.

I need to get F1 by December 2017 for OPT eligibility. Pls suggest me for any options. 

On 7/8/2017 at 0:24 AM, Logapriya said:

I am planning to change my visa status from H4 to F1 for my masters program starting this fall(August 2017). How long it takes for COS to F1 due to personal issues I can't travel to India.

I need to get F1 by December 2017 for OPT eligibility. Pls suggest me for any options. 

Change of status times vary a lot. It can be anywhere form 4 to 8 months. Best and fastest option is to go to Canada 4 weeks before the program start date and get stamping done, if you don't want to travel all the way to India.

Thank you! Toronto US consulate is the nearest to me and what are the acceptance ratio there? How long I need to be staying in Canada and what is the total process time for it?  What are the chances of my F1 visa getting rejected? In that case, can I travel back to the USA on H4 without any complications? My program starts in August end and I got hardly one month left before deciding on it!

13 hours ago, Logapriya said:

Thank you! Toronto US consulate is the nearest to me and what are the acceptance ratio there? How long I need to be staying in Canada and what is the total process time for it?  What are the chances of my F1 visa getting rejected? In that case, can I travel back to the USA on H4 without any complications? My program starts in August end and I got hardly one month left before deciding on it!

It all depends on the credibility of the university. The process takes 4 or 5 business days. Yes, you can travel back on H-4 if your F-1 visa is rejected. You can start your program and also go for stamping between your program when you get a fall break.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am currently on my H4 visa and got i20. I am applying for change of status from H4 to F1,  but before that i have few questions. My H4 visa is going to expire in first week of september 2017, i know it takes a lot of time to know the decision of COS and mean while i will be out of H4 status. So, my question is would i still be able to stay back in USA? Can i attend my college without any status while COS is in process? And how long it takes to get a receipt from USCIS? I could only stay back after receiving the receipt?

Thanks in advance

• 7 months later...

Hello, my wife applied for COS from H4 to F1 during 1st week of October,2017 and she will be done with first two semesters of masters already by end of April, 2018. Its been close to 6 months now and the average processing time as of now looks like 12 months at Vermont center.

Is there anyone who is in the same situation ? If yes, are you planning on getting a consular appointment in India (or) wait for COS approval ?

Also in case of a rejection of a consular appointment at India, can she travel back in H4 and finish her masters ?

Also to be eligible for OPT does she have to be in F1 full time for two straight semesters (just wondering if her COS gets approved in her last semester when she plans to graduate)?

Any kind of explanation/recommendation/experience of yours is highly appreciated, thanks in advance !!

• 9 months later...
On 3/17/2018 at 5:42 PM, VPNH said:

Hello, my wife applied for COS from H4 to F1 during 1st week of October,2017 and she will be done with first two semesters of masters already by end of April, 2018. Its been close to 6 months now and the average processing time as of now looks like 12 months at Vermont center.

Is there anyone who is in the same situation ? If yes, are you planning on getting a consular appointment in India (or) wait for COS approval ?

Also in case of a rejection of a consular appointment at India, can she travel back in H4 and finish her masters ?

Also to be eligible for OPT does she have to be in F1 full time for two straight semesters (just wondering if her COS gets approved in her last semester when she plans to graduate)?

Any kind of explanation/recommendation/experience of yours is highly appreciated, thanks in advance !!

Hello sir.

Did your wife cos approved or dis she went to India for stamping.I am currently in the same situation kindly share your experience and ideaS

Archived