Stamped for 1 month "Limited Stay"

Amtheyst

Hi all,

My mom came to US yesterday. She left US 1.5 years ago (she stayed 6-months last time) and 5 years ago before that (stayed 4-months). She does not speak English but got stuck in the immigration line alone. The friend who accompanied her could not join the line since she had US passport, the officer sent her to a different line.

When the POE officer interviewed her, she does not know exactly what he asked. Then he asked her for return ticket which she took a minute to show him. He has written "Aug 5, 2017. Limited Stay" in her stamp. However, when I checked her electronic I-94, it says "admit until date: Jan 4, 2018".

I called the local CBP deferred inspection center, they said:

(i) it is not guaranteed that the electronic I-94 is accurate

(ii) if there are any comments added by the officer, if his intend was to give 1-month, then she is admitted only for 1 month

(iii) to know if he added any comment (or what the comment says), they have to research each case by case

(iv) I have to bring my mom to the center to find out. Sigh.

Any advice on what my best next steps are? Anyone experienced similar case and just stayed for 6-months as per I-94? Thank you so much for the help.

Return ticket was Dec 31. Less than 6 months from the date of entry.

I went to local deferred CBP center. And they said since the "Limited Stay" was written, the intent of the POE officer was clear and I-94 must be corrected. And they did change it to show Aug 5. 

Now, seems like my next step should be to apply for extension. However, am wondering, if anyone could predict the chances our application getting denied? From what I am reading, people usually are applying for extension after 6-months stay. Does anyone who got "Limited Stay" applied for extn?

Archived