any risk of international travel before filing N400

alt2017

i have been physically  living in the state of Ohio over the last five years since green card issued. i have  satisfied the 5 years of Continuous Residence and 30 months of Physical Presence, according to the USCIS requirements. Now I am ready to file the N400 form for US citizenship by this November 2017.

But i have an international business travel in October for a week long.

1)      Does this affect my USCIS-required residency qualification conditions (5 years and 30 months)?

2)      am i still eligible to file N400 form by November when i return from the oversea trip ? or do I have to wait additional 3 months after returning from the trip in October ?

4 hours ago, pontevecchio said:

Residence is not physical presence. Hence the trip will not affect the 3 month residence requirement as you have been resident for 5 years.

thank you.

my residence at Ohio  (home address on the driver license ) has not been changed in the last 5 years.

my uderstanding is , My residence at Ohio state will not be affected,even though  i am not physically present(out of Ohio) in Ohio for a week because of this trip as i already both" reside" and "present"  in Ohio for 5years/60 months.

USCIS says the eligibility: generally, an applicant for naturalization must:

• Be 18 years old or older at the time of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

• Be a lawful permanent resident (have a “green card”).

• Demonstrate continuous permanent residence in the United States for at least 5 years. (In some cases, this may be 3 years if you are married to a U.S. citizen.)

• Show that you have been physically present in the United States for 30 months. (In some cases, this may be 18 months if you are married to a U.S. citizen.)

• Show that you have lived for at least 3 months in the state  where you claim residence.

Living in a state doesn't mean that you have to be there physically for the 3 months.

Ask yourself, if you go on vacation, do you put all your belongings in storage or take everything with you? Cancel your lease (if you rent) or sell your house, switch off electricity, etc? Nobody does that. You take a suitcase, that's it. And at the end of your travel, you arrive back at your home, where you continue to reside, and just unlock the door.

Use common sense. That's all there is to it.

Archived