Documents required to apply for OPT

Annoynomus

Hello,

I am in a process of collecting documents to prepare OPT application. When I asked my DSO what documents should I send USCIS, she mentioned complete I765 form, 2 photos, Check of 410 and only OPT I-20  no previous I-20's are required.  I felt the information is conflicting regarding I-20's because I had sent all the I-20 when applied for OPT after my Undergrad.

Called USCIS even they did not have information on the documents to be sent.

I am writing this forum to find out if the rules have changed since 2014 in terms of documents to be sent when applying for OPT. Just clearing my basis here.

Thank you

6 hours ago, prad0211 said:

Just the OPT I-20 should work.

Thanks for replying!!

This means I do not have to send my old school(bachelor degree) I-20's + EAD. 

Only OPT I-20 (masters degree) authorized by DSO + $410 check+ 2 photos + passport copies should be enough.

"I do not have to send 1st I-20 issue by my master college" please answer this part.

Is this a new rule?

my desperation of asking this question is due to my past experience of sending all the documents as directed by my previous college. I do not want to send more or less documents.just want to make sure application process goes smoothly.

And seems no one has perfect answer. when asked DSO she states only OPT I-20 will be enough, USCIS  has no information either.

Thank you

On 6/30/2017 at 4:12 PM, Annoynomus said:

Thanks for replying!!

Only OPT I-20 (masters degree) authorized by DSO + $410 check+ 2 photos + passport copies should be enough.

"I do not have to send 1st I-20 issue by my master college" please answer this part.

Is this a new rule?

my desperation of asking this question is due to my past experience of sending all the documents as directed by my previous college. I do not want to send more or less documents.just want to make sure application process goes smoothly.

And seems no one has perfect answer. when asked DSO she states only OPT I-20 will be enough, USCIS  has no information either.

Thank you

You can send all I-20's. Better to have more docs than less always.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:12 PM, Annoynomus said:

Thanks for replying!!

Is this a new rule?

Thank you

I am not sure about the I-20's from your undergrad program. When I applied for my OPT for my Master's degree, I had to submit my I-20 where my DSO had recommended for the OPT along with the check, photos, passport copies with I-94. I did not get my undergrad from US so your requirement might be different but since this is at a master's level, I believe the master's I-20 should still be enough.

Hope this helps!

Archived