I94 expired and new passport is yet to arrive

JaiGuru

Hello,

My passport & I94 expired in March 2017. Unware of the fact of how important it is to have a valid I94,  I did not realize the urgency and filed renewal of Passport with Houston embassy on June 12th. It takes at least 3 weeks for the new passport to arrive. I just realized the I94 issue today(June 21) and consulted with my attorney. 

She suggested visiting the local CBP office with the copy of old passport(since original copy is submitted to embassy for renewal) and requesting if they could extend the I94 to end of my visa which is Sept 2018.

Is there a risk in going to the CBP office with an expired I94 and with out new and old passport ? 

Kindly assist. Thanks!

Hi JaiGuru,

Please don't visit local CBP office if your I 94 already expired and even don't call them. They will deport you rite away. I am not scaring you but its all rules they have. you need a best lawyer not your company attorney, hire some one expert in handling this kinda cases. May be you can hire murthy lawyers... they are the best solving this kinda of cases. you will loose some money but  its always safe to go with attorney.  very rare cases it will work crossing the borders coming back. if your luck is very good. but don't worry or scared of anything this is very small problem relax and try to find the solution.

Once you get your passort apply for Nunc pro tunc through your attorney at USCIS. Until u get your new passport ur not elgible to work. Let your employer know else in your next extension u will face trouble. As i faced the same issue. In case case my attorney made some mistake in nunc protunc. So i have to go back to India, I got re stamping for the same i797 and entered into us with new i94. Not to scare u but the truth is... Once i94 is expired our visa is no longer valid. So please contact ur employer or Attorney ASAP. I tried CPB as first step. Dont go in person sent them an email once u recieve ur passport. They will send a reply to go to USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 11:40 PM, JaiGuru said:

Planning to go to Laredo,TX  as it is closer. Any thoughts or feedback about the process at this location.

And Thank you pontevecchio.

hey JaiGuru, did you go to the Tijuana yet? do you have any update?

I am in the same exact boat as you were in. Can you share your experience? Thank you in advance!

Archived