Issues in OPT STEM Extension. Please help!

yogithebear

Hi,

I hope you are doing well. 

Background:

• I currently work on a contract position for COMPANY A and a staffing firm is my full-time employer. 
  • Recently, my staffing firm notified that they will no longer continue my contract after June 30. The reasoning provided by them is they no longer support OPT STEM Extensions.
  • Please note COMPANY A wants to keep my contract and is looking for another Staffing company that will sign my I-983 form replacing the one earlier signed

Please find below timeline of the events:- 

1. March 27th:  I filled form I-983 with staffing firm as a full-time employer. Also, COMPANY A provided the job related training so they signed the training sections 4 & 6 of the form I-983 (Specific training related sections)
  2. April 26th : USCIS received my application and mailed the receipt and the application is still pending with USCIS
  3. June 14th :    HR called me to notify they cannot support the STEM extension as they did not provide the training so they will continue my contract until June 30.  My Manager at COMPANY A mentioned that they will look for another contracting company replacing the existing one

Please look into the below questions:

·         How will the above situation impact my current pending STEM extension petition?

·         Considering COMPANY A finds the staffing agency replacement in the next 1-2 weeks, Can I claim the unused un-employment provided in the initial OPT? Please note, I still have 40 days of the maximum 90 days’ unemployment period from initial OPT. Also, I will continue to work until June 30.

·         Are there any concerns if a staffing firms fills up the I-983 form as I will be working with their client but not directly with them? 

·         Also, if I am no longer working after June 30, how would it affect my OPT extension application

·         Can I switch employers in between 180 days’ extension and how soon the USCIS needs to be notified?

·         Can DSO help with I-983 forms if I am unemployed after June 30 and will it allow me to continue with my extension

I appreciate your help in this process. Please share your thoughts regarding the above at your soonest convenience. 

• 1 month later...

Archived