F2 or B1/B2 visa for wife who is canadian citizen and wants to do medical externship

ninjaturtle

She will be doing medical observership/externship which is normally unpaid. I am pretty sure a person on B1/B2 status can do that based on answers I found online and consulting with people who are already doing that in US. My question is how is she going to change the status of her visa while in US? Does she need to go back to Canada and come back as B1/B2?

I also found that she does not need to acquire F2 visa. She just need to show her I-20 which I obtained from my school along with other documents at port of entry, is it true? 

I know a lot of people who have done "observerships" in Medicine where they basically hang around for rounds and get a handle on the system and get contacts for their future residency and this is done in B1/B2 status. Program directors have the authority to permit  this.. Why not let her deal with the medical aspect?. Presumably she knows more. It is always better to give all details. Obviously she has not studied medicine in Canada based on your post.

Canadian Citizens get their I94 at the border and do not Need a visa.

Archived