Valid visa documentation for travel to Mexico/Bermuda?

SM1

I am an H1B. My visa stamp in my passport is expired from 2013. But I have a 797 valid to 2019. I also have a combo EAD and Advance Parole card valid to 2018. 

I want to travel to Mexico. VisaHQ suggests that I do not need a visa to Mexico if I have a valid visa to the US. 

My question is - does an expired H1B visa stamp and a valid 797 through 2019 together demonstrate a valid US visa such that I will be granted entry into Mexico? Or does it have to be a valid sticker stamp in the passport to be considered a valid visa?

(I have returned to the US successfully several times on AP card - I am not worried about that). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 9:04 PM, SM1 said:

I am an H1B. My visa stamp in my passport is expired from 2013. But I have a 797 valid to 2019. I also have a combo EAD and Advance Parole card valid to 2018. 

I want to travel to Mexico. VisaHQ suggests that I do not need a visa to Mexico if I have a valid visa to the US. 

My question is - does an expired H1B visa stamp and a valid 797 through 2019 together demonstrate a valid US visa such that I will be granted entry into Mexico? Or does it have to be a valid sticker stamp in the passport to be considered a valid visa?

(I have returned to the US successfully several times on AP card - I am not worried about that). 

i am in the same boat as you, my h1b stamp is expired, but my i797 valid till august 2018.

as per the mexico consulate website, you need a visitor visa.

let me know if i am wrong or if you got any other info.

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/dallas/index.php/2016-03-22-02-17-35/visa

If the US visa stamped on your passport is expired but you have a document proving your legal status in this country, you must apply for a visa at the Mexican Consulate Mexican if your nationality is mentioned below.

Advance Parole, Forms I-20/J-1, I-797, I-512 documents are not accepted for entry into Mexico.

Archived