N-400 interview cleared but Indian passport expired

sawaaljawaab

Hi, I had my naturalization interview yesterday which I passed, but noticed that my Indian passport has been expired 5 months ago in early Jan'2017. I don't know how long will it take for the oath ceremony. In this case, do you advise renewing my Indian passport or wait for the oath ceremony? Please help!

Thanks so much!

You would only need a valid Passport for foreign travel until you get the American Passport after the Oath Ceremony. But India mandates that you send the Indian passport to the Embassy for a stamp saying Cancelled due to acquiring US Citizenship after you have the oath ceremony after which they will return the cancelled passport. Of course they may insist that you needed to have a valid passport for cancellation purposes. the downside is a fine if ever you want to get OCI or possibly when apply for an Indian visa.

The US doesn't care. A person who has a GC doesn't need to have a valid passport from his or her home country. Once you are a US citizen, you don't even have to care about what the other country thinks about the old passport (unless you want to travel there, obviously...)

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter had exact similar situation. Just wait till you obtain your US passport after that send the expired Indian passport to the Indian consulate for renunciation of citizenship and cancellation. This is necessary, as in future if you want to apply for Indian visa or OCI, they will ask for the renunciation certificate. Also note, for renunciation it is not necessary to have a valid Indian passport. In the interim, you cannot travel abroad as Pontevecchio mentioned. Indian rule requires you to give up citizenship once you acquire foreign citizenship. So technically once you have taken the Oath of Allegiance, you cannot travel on an Indian passport, there are certain penalties imposed by India in this respect.

• 9 months later...

Papan 

My daughter had exact similar situation. Just wait till you obtain your US passport after that send the expired Indian passport to the Indian consulate for renunciation of citizenship and cancellation. This is necessary, as in future if you want to apply for Indian visa or OCI, they will ask for the renunciation certificate. Also note, for renunciation it is not necessary to have a valid Indian passport. In the interim, you cannot travel abroad as Pontevecchio mentioned. Indian rule requires you to give up citizenship once you acquire foreign citizenship. So technically once you have taken the Oath of Allegiance, you cannot travel on an Indian passport, there are certain penalties imposed by India in this respect.

Hello Papan -

Can you please provide some clarity on your statement that "there are certain penalties imposed by India in this respect"...

Are the penalties due to a) NOT keeping the Indian Passport current (without expiring)  before the Oath of Allegiance/Naturalization.... OR....

b) Is the Penalty imposed...... because...someone didn't inform the Indian Passport Office  about obtaining US Naturalization/US Passport.... and Later on... the same person applied for OCI and or Indian Visa ?

Thank you for expertise, Time and support.

Also....JoeF and or Pontevecchio... you folks want to give it a try to answer my Question ? Appreciate your knowledge/support.

India does not allow dual citizenship, so you can not use an Indian passport to travel once you get naturalized in the US Oath ceremony. If you use the passport after becoming a US citize, you could be arrested, denied entry, etc.

Of course, you can't travel with an expired passport, either. I have not heard of any country requiring a valid passport unless you travel internationally.

Archived