stem opt denied sevis status completed after cap -gap opt generation

charan 0000000

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions for the people . It would be so helpful to all the people.

Here is my situation i am tensed a lot.

my initial opt is completed on may 10th 2017 and i applied for stem extension on march 27  2017 received denial letter of stem opt on may 15th . now can i work with cap -gap i -20 but when i contact my DSO says that my sevis is completed d unable to generate cap -gap due to  stem opt denial. my H1B result is still pending so i am working as a full time employee. so please let me know can i work without cap -gap i -20 by having H1b receipt or i have to stop working because if i was not having the cap -gap .please help me

Charan,

Here I am sharing my experience. As per OPT EAD card My Initial OPT expiry date is May 8th,  and i was applied STEM OPT on March 6th. But it got rejected on April 20th and the same time the SEVIS also went into COMPLETED status though I have valid OPT expiry date till May 8th. But I do not know the SEVIS Status by that time. Luckely I got notification on May 2nd that my H1 got selected and I was curious to know the SEVIS status, so did called to SEVP help desk and they said it was completed and they suggested me to check with your school DSO and make a request to correct the record. I did contacted DSO and they made a request to SEVP and corrected the SEVIS. then applied for CAP-GAP I-20. When I looked at I-20, the Initial OPT End date says September 30, as my H1 got selected before my OPT expires and before 60 days grace period.

So I would like to say that, ask your DSO to raise a request to SEVP to correct your SEVIS record from Completed status to ACTIVE. Then they can generate the CAP-GAP. Actually there is a bug in SEVP, once STEM OPT rejected, the SEVIS going to complete state.  

One thing I'll tell you is, once your H1 Picked, automatically your SEVIS would be updated. also you could see the H1B record and the status of it and the receipt number. Hope this info will be helpful. This is my case and shared with you and might have helpful to others as well.

Archived