Parents B2 Visa - DS160 What to Enter in Work / Occupation

HKumar8086

I am applying for my parents B2 visa. My father was running a small grocery store almost 10 years back. He closed the shop and is retired now. He gets money from his rental property and has a property on his name. 

My question is related to DS160. What should I fill up in the Primary Occupation?  I filled up as Retired.  

The next question is Were you previously employed ( Provide your employment information for the last five years that you were employed, if applicable).  When I select yes to this I get fields to enter Employer/Employment Information?  What should I be entering here. Since he did not work under any company he does not have an employer. He did not have any job title or supervisor.  Could you please give an idea on what should I be entering here.  This is an important question for the interview.

I am confused. Please provide some inputs.

• 3 weeks later...

There could be many who are reading this forum and have the exact same question as I had posted. So I am updating this post with what I did when I filled up ds160.  My parents got their visa approved today.

My father is retired and he was running a shop which is closed now. So for current employment I gave Retired. For past employment I gave Self Employed and entered the address of our shop. For job supervisor I said Does Not apply.  Start date and end date of the the shop. Submitted the form.

I hope this helps many who have the same question as I had. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 5:55 AM, HKumar8086 said:

There could be many who are reading this forum and have the exact same question as I had posted. So I am updating this post with what I did when I filled up ds160.  My parents got their visa approved today.

My father is retired and he was running a shop which is closed now. So for current employment I gave Retired. For past employment I gave Self Employed and entered the address of our shop. For job supervisor I said Does Not apply.  Start date and end date of the the shop. Submitted the form.

I hope this helps many who have the same question as I had. Thanks.

Hi HKumar, 

My father's situation is same as yours, may I ask if you manage to get a Visa?. 

My parents visa was rejected and I was wondering if you guide me on what did (your father)  replied about his source of income in India type question. Obviously I am just looking to know only high level answer on how to handle this when father is retired. 

Thanks

• 6 months later...

Archived