Moving to a new organization with H1B receipt number

Hello everyone,

I work for a MNC based out of India. I have been selected in the H1B lottery for the year 2017. But the case is now, I have got a better opportunity in another MNC (also in India) and will be relieved from my current organization by 31st of May. As per my current organization’s policy I have been asked to pay a penalty and move away with the receipt number. Also I have been informed that the documents submitted by them will be withdrawn by 31st of May.

As per my knowledge, once the documents are withdrawn, it won’t be taken into consideration for approval by the USCIS. Below are my questions (please note both the employers are in India and there is a high possibility of getting a US requirement with my new employer)

1. What do I do with the receipt number?

2. Can this number be used by any means for filing a new petition with my new employer for any other opportunity?

3. If yes, do I have to wait for next year to upload the documents through my new employer or it can be processed any time before October depending upon the requirement in new organization?

4. Please help me in understanding what points to be taken care of while receiving the receipt number from my current employer.

By what other means I can take this receipt number as an advantage for me or the new employer, given the condition I have paid a certain amount to my current Employer and do not want it to get into Void.

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply!

Even I had the same thought. But, I have been informed by my current employer's immigration team that, having a receipt number means, I do not have to go through a lottery for the next 3 years and this number can be used as a reference for filing petition from my new employer, if at all there are any such opportunities.

Do I have to believe in that? Is it true? Can you please clarify on this?

1 hour ago, shyamcsundar said:

Thank you for your reply!

Even I had the same thought. But, I have been informed by my current employer's immigration team that, having a receipt number means, I do not have to go through a lottery for the next 3 years and this number can be used as a reference for filing petition from my new employer, if at all there are any such opportunities.

Do I have to believe in that? Is it true? Can you please clarify on this?

That is wrong.

You are not considered counted for the quota until the H1 is approved and you have started working for the H1 employer.

Archived