SEVIS transfer is kept on hold by USCIS --- I-901 fee due

murthylawfirm_fan

Hi everyone,

I am currently working as a full-time employee. My STEM OPT gets expired on June 20, 2017 and I don't have any update on H1-B yet. I have applied for Masters with Day-1 CPT (started on May 14, 2017) in another school and got admission for the same. 

I requested my current school DSO for a SEVIS transfer on May 13, 2017. The new school orientation was on May 13th and the school DSO said they were not able to generate I-20 for me since I-901 fee is due on my SEVIS record. I am not sure why this fee due is showing up as I am a transfer student and there is no change in visa status.
I have a pre-approved CPT letter from new school stating that CPT start date is May 14, 2017 but I don't have a generated I-20 and my SEVIS transfer is put on hold by USCIS. 

1. Can I legally work during this period (May 15 through the date I-20 would be generated)?
2. Why am I asked to pay the SEVIS fee again? (I have maintained the status correctly and a continuing F1 student)
3. How long does USCIS take to process SEVIS fee and release my SEVIS record to new school? (I paid SEVIS fee on May 13th itself).

Please let me know what to do in the current situation. Kindly, help me with the best possible solution.

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, murthylawfirm_fan said:

Hi everyone,

I am currently working as a full-time employee. My STEM OPT gets expired on June 20, 2017 and I don't have any update on H1-B yet. I have applied for Masters with Day-1 CPT (started on May 14, 2017) in another school and got admission for the same. 

I requested my current school DSO for a SEVIS transfer on May 13, 2017. The new school orientation was on May 13th and the school DSO said they were not able to generate I-20 for me since I-901 fee is due on my SEVIS record. I am not sure why this fee due is showing up as I am a transfer student and there is no change in visa status.
I have a pre-approved CPT letter from new school stating that CPT start date is May 14, 2017 but I don't have a generated I-20 and my SEVIS transfer is put on hold by USCIS. 

1. Can I legally work during this period (May 15 through the date I-20 would be generated)?
2. Why am I asked to pay the SEVIS fee again? (I have maintained the status correctly and a continuing F1 student)
3. How long does USCIS take to process SEVIS fee and release my SEVIS record to new school? (I paid SEVIS fee on May 13th itself).

Please let me know what to do in the current situation. Kindly, help me with the best possible solution.

Thanks in advance!

1. You cannot work because you don't have a valid I-20.

2. You need to check with DSO.

3. Should take a week or two.

Archived