OPT for second Masters

farn

Hi, I am an international student. I completed my first Masters from a reputed university and I applied for OPT. My OPT was denied due to the application reaching after the 30 day deadline of i-20. After the denial I filed for a MTR. I received a denial for the MTR too. And I exited the country within 4 months of my OPT denial ( I did not violate the 180 day rule). Now I am planning to pursue Masters again from a reputed University in another related STEM field. I will be applying for visa again and will be entering with a new SEVIS ID. Before investing money on second masters I wanted to know if  I will be eligible for OPT after the completion of my second Masters. Since I never used OPT after my first Masters as it was not granted. Will I be eligible for OPT after second masters? Also will my first OPT denial affect my chances of getting OPT again after second masters? If I file the OPT timely without making mistakes will my OPT be approved? 

13 hours ago, farn said:

Hi, I am an international student. I completed my first Masters from a reputed university and I applied for OPT. My OPT was denied due to the application reaching after the 30 day deadline of i-20. After the denial I filed for a MTR. I received a denial for the MTR too. And I exited the country within 4 months of my OPT denial ( I did not violate the 180 day rule). Now I am planning to pursue Masters again from a reputed University in another related STEM field. I will be applying for visa again and will be entering with a new SEVIS ID. Before investing money on second masters I wanted to know if  I will be eligible for OPT after the completion of my second Masters. Since I never used OPT after my first Masters as it was not granted. Will I be eligible for OPT after second masters? Also will my first OPT denial affect my chances of getting OPT again after second masters? If I file the OPT timely without making mistakes will my OPT be approved? 

You are eligible for OPT as USCIS never granted you one before. But consult an immigration attorney to be 100% sure. If you are in India you can consult Murthy firm in Chennai.

Archived