H4 visa extension pending decision since 10+ months. I-94 expired, Passport expiring!

dMyth

I am on H4 visa and my I-94 was valid till Sep 29th, 2016. We applied for the H1 and H4 visa extension back in July 2016 - initially filed in normal but switched to premium processing in August 2016. While my spouse's H1 got an RFE and later was approved on November 28th, 2016, my H4 is still pending with USCIS! It in now over 10 months, and as per their website, they are currently processing cases filed as of October 3rd, 2016.

We have tried submitting service requests twice - once in February/March, and again in April. Both the times we were told to expect a response in 30 days, but so far we have not heard anything from USCIS in my case. 

Now my passport is expiring on June 28th, 2017 and I was waiting for the H4 approval to renew the passport as that was one of the documents required for the same. But now I worry that my passport would expire and I still may not have the visa extension approval from USCIS.

Will I be able to renew my passport with the USCIS receipt and/or additional documents? What other options do I have in this case?

And is there any other way to find out what is going on with my H4 extension case? Does contacting the USCIS Ombudsman help in such cases?

Appreciate your help.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:51 AM, dMyth said:

I am on H4 visa and my I-94 was valid till Sep 29th, 2016. We applied for the H1 and H4 visa extension back in July 2016 - initially filed in normal but switched to premium processing in August 2016. While my spouse's H1 got an RFE and later was approved on November 28th, 2016, my H4 is still pending with USCIS! It in now over 10 months, and as per their website, they are currently processing cases filed as of October 3rd, 2016.

We have tried submitting service requests twice - once in February/March, and again in April. Both the times we were told to expect a response in 30 days, but so far we have not heard anything from USCIS in my case. 

Now my passport is expiring on June 28th, 2017 and I was waiting for the H4 approval to renew the passport as that was one of the documents required for the same. But now I worry that my passport would expire and I still may not have the visa extension approval from USCIS.

Will I be able to renew my passport with the USCIS receipt and/or additional documents? What other options do I have in this case?

And is there any other way to find out what is going on with my H4 extension case? Does contacting the USCIS Ombudsman help in such cases?

Appreciate your help.

You cannot if you are an Indian. CKGS does not accept receipt notices.

I called up CKGS and they said I can apply with the receipt. On their widget there is an option tgat says "Pending with USCIS" for current legal status. Based on that, the document checklist said I have to submit self-attested copy of the receipt and a No Status Affidavit signed by 2 witnesses (having Indian passports and GC), and notarized. 

Did all that and sent it to CKGS 2 days back, but now the status says it's on hold because consulate does not accept receipts and need approval! I don't know what to think of it all!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived