N-400 - delay due to pending security checks. What can I do ?

amiintrouble

Hello, 

My N-400 filing date is May 9, 2016, finger printing completed May 31, 2016, been waiting for interview since then !!

Called USCIS on 11/4/2016 to inquire, was told current processing date was April 3, 2016.

Contacted USCIS again in Feb 2015, Received a letter from USCIS, Detroit office saying

"We have placed your case on a processing hold because the required security checks remain pending. Until we receive the results of these security checks, we cannot move forward on your case. We require the results of security checks before we make a decision on any pending cases."

After 3 months took Infopass last week and met USCIS officer at the Detroit field office. She told me that the name check is still pending !!

Its been 1 year since I applied. I am a 20 year resident with no issues and am very frustrated with the situation. Any ideas on what can I do ? Appreciate any advice from Murthy Law Firm and forum members.

Thanks a lot. 

Please contact the Federal Senators Office in your state, either one. The next step is to consult a lawyer as to any possible legal steps. Name truncation was always an issue over the last decade and it is a lame excuse to delay Naturalization. Consider filing a writ of mandamus. This is an unacceptable situation.

Besides the name check issue, there also have been delays because they switched to a new computerized interview process. My buddy, who just had his interview a few days ago (and has his oath in 2 weeks) was told by the interview officer that the reason for the delay in his application was the switch to the new system, which apparently caused lots of chaos...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. The Senators office contacted NBC and got a reply in a week. They confirmed my case is pending background check and " unable to speculate when the background check will be completed ".

Also said " the agency must balance individual inconvenience against broader issues of public safety and national security."

I can't imagine being a public safety and national security threat !!  Very frustrated. 

Senators office asked to contact them again if the case is still pending after 60 days. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 11:11 PM, amiintrouble said:

Thanks for all your inputs. I went for interview today which did not happen. I have started another thread entitled

USCIS did NOT conduct interview at scheduled appointment citing security checks. 

Kindly advise..

We mentioned there was was said here already: Get a lawyer involved. Did you do that? If not, why not? This was stated a couple of months ago.

Why post if you ignore what people are telling you?

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Archived