N-400 Processing time, Notification

Sumit Rao

Hello

During my citizenship process, I intend to go out of country for couple of weeks.
I will be applying for citizenship from central New Jersey. I guess Vermont processing center and Newark district.
1. Any idea how long my citizenship processing will take ?
a. Bio metrics date
b. Interview ?

2. Regarding interview- Will they ALSo notify me on email or text message about the interview dates ? Or only by mail ? In case I am not at home, will I be able to check information about my scheduled interview date ?

Thanks

The processing times are on the USCIS website.

They may nowadays also email the interview date. Back during my process, they only mailed a letter. It is best to have somebody at home who can open your mail.

Email notification or SMS notification do NOT say when the interview is scheduled. It just says that it is scheduled and actual date-time and place of interview is sent in the mail. With current trends, biometric is expected to be completing after around 4 weeks of filing and then give it about 2 to 3 months to complete the background check and your case will be inline for interview (you will get this status alert online/sms). From there it is per USCIS processing times which varies from service center to service center. Generally overall process is taking 8 to 10 months which was completing  in around 3 to 6 months last year.

Archived