Travel while Citizenship application is pending

Leo2017

My Citizenship application is pending and looks like that's going to take a while. In the meantime, I have need for traveling to India around Jan which is going to be after my green card expires (in Nov). I don't expect my citizenship to arrive before my travel dates so what are my options? Can't change my travel dates. Applied for citizenship in feb '17.

Sounds like Green card renewal is my only option which I can apply only after May. Looking at timelines for GC renewal, it could take beyond my travel dates to arrive. So can I travel with temporary extension sticker(I read online I will get it when I apply for renewal) on my green card? 
Anybody who traveled with temporary extension sticker on green card confirm it and share the experience?

Any other ideas/options for my situation?
  • 1 month later...

Your best option is to apply for Green Card replacement (I-90) and get a sticker on Greencard after your biometrics. You can also get an I-551 stamp on the passport which is usually good for a year. As long as you have completed your required days in the US prior to filing the Citizenship, you can travel outside of US but keep it less than 6 months in one trip. 

Archived