I-94 renewal. Old Passport expired - New PP received

GrajTraj

Hello Sir

I have a Valid H1B until Sep 2019.

My Old passport expires on July 2017, therefore my corresponding I-94 also expires on July 2017.

I have received my new passport valid until March 2027.

My employer applied for i-94 extension in premium, but we missed the premium processing deadline and and got routed to regular queue.

1) Do you advice going to Canada or Mexico or India for my I-94 renewal?

2) If i go to Canada(With a Visa) or Mexico, can i stay for few hours and get back  for the I-94 renewal or Is it mandatory to stay for 1-2 days?

Thank you. Appreciate your response

Gowtham

To Gowtham

This is my personal experience. I was in the same boat. As my passport was expiring in July 2017 and had my i94 issued till July 2017 even though my H1 expires in Dec 2018. I got my passport renewed and was looking to get my i-94 fixed. After reading many thread about crossing the boarder and re-entering to get it fixed, i was in a bit of dilemma. 

TO GET THIS FIXED WE DON'T NEED TO CROSS THE BOARDER. I simply went to the CBP Federal office at Denver International Airport and explained about my passport renewal and i94. The officer smiled and said, It's VERY EASY TO FIX and took my i-797 and passports and came back in 15 mins with my extended i94. All it took was 30 min to get it fixed at the CBP office at the airport. 

CBP officers are aware of this and its a very straight forward fix. Please don't waste time crossing boarder or filing I-539 and stuff.

A very complex matter which may result in great harm . Each involved employee must inform HR without fail and seek guidance.

In very brief

" This may or may not have been successful as it appears to depend on the particular CBP Deferred Inspection Site.  For instance, some CBP sites take the position that they can only correct this I-94 within 30 days of admission. Other CBP sites will not correct this I-94. And other CBP sites take the position that this I-94 does not even need to be corrected as I-94 on the Form I-797 governs."

9 FAM 41.104 N2IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER GIVES SOME IDEA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 6:35 AM, pontevecchio said:

A very complex matter which may result in great harm . Each involved employee must inform HR without fail and seek guidance.

In very brief

" This may or may not have been successful as it appears to depend on the particular CBP Deferred Inspection Site.  For instance, some CBP sites take the position that they can only correct this I-94 within 30 days of admission. Other CBP sites will not correct this I-94. And other CBP sites take the position that this I-94 does not even need to be corrected as I-94 on the Form I-797 governs."

9 FAM 41.104 N2IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER GIVES SOME IDEA.

Hi Pontevecchio:

"A very complex matter which may result in great harm...."
--Are you referring to denial of entry into the US at the Port of entries like San Ysidro/Mexico?  Could you please elaborate?

Thank you,
Arun

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 5:18 PM, gowthamraj said:

Hello Sir

I have a Valid H1B until Sep 2019.

My Old passport expires on July 2017, therefore my corresponding I-94 also expires on July 2017.

I have received my new passport valid until March 2027.

My employer applied for i-94 extension in premium, but we missed the premium processing deadline and and got routed to regular queue.

1) Do you advice going to Canada or Mexico or India for my I-94 renewal?

2) If i go to Canada(With a Visa) or Mexico, can i stay for few hours and get back  for the I-94 renewal or Is it mandatory to stay for 1-2 days?

Thank you. Appreciate your response

Gowtham

Can you share your experience? Did you go to CBP office ? 

Archived