I-485 Supplement J

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the new form I-485 supplement J.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual

Hello Attorney, I have a pending 485 (EB2 category) from the last 5 years. I am working on EAD from last 5 years and last year changed employer based on AC21 and my new employer's attorney notified USCIS about my employment change. Now when I ask my new employer's attorney to file the 485 supplement J, He mentioned as we filed a strong AC21 notification last year, there is no need for the supplement filing and we can wait for a RFE or a NOID and then file the supplement, if asked for. This "waiting game" is little concerning me. Kindly let me know if I push him for the supplement filing or wait as per his advise.

On 4/23/2017 at 2:54 PM, immiDeepak said:

Hello Attorney, I have a pending 485 (EB2 category) from the last 5 years. I am working on EAD from last 5 years and last year changed employer based on AC21 and my new employer's attorney notified USCIS about my employment change. Now when I ask my new employer's attorney to file the 485 supplement J, He mentioned as we filed a strong AC21 notification last year, there is no need for the supplement filing and we can wait for a RFE or a NOID and then file the supplement, if asked for. This "waiting game" is little concerning me. Kindly let me know if I push him for the supplement filing or wait as per his advise.

The attorney is correct that filing an AC21 notification is not required until requested. This is true even with the new Supplement J form. 

>I’m on EAD from last 10 years (485 filed on 2007 as EB3 priority on Nov 2005) and working for an employer as

>fulltime and they don’t sponsor any H1 or green cards. What are my alternatives for to file form “J” if I receive any RFE?

No sponsorship is required for form "J". All it is asking is non-technical job description and an employer representative signing. If i were in your position i will go and ask NOW if they will provide me with Form J after explaining to them about it. If they cannot i will find a full time position with an employer who will be willing to provide me with Form J signature.  Don't wait for the last minute and don't be attached to any job/employer. GC is a waiting game and you have to do what is good for you. 

Good Luck.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:44 AM, Sri2050 said:

I’m on EAD from last 10 years (485 filed on 2007 as EB3 priority on Nov 2005) and working for an employer as fulltime and they don’t sponsor any H1 or green cards. What are my alternatives for to file form “J” if I receive any RFE?

Unfortunately there are no alternatives. You will be required to provide evidence of your job offer on the Supplement J form. However, you should be aware this is not the same thing as "sponsoring" for an H1B or Green Card.  

• 2 weeks later...

Supplement form J --> Part 6  and 6 point ( Is this a permanent position?). Does the offer needs to be permanent position?  My current job is full-time position, but not necessarily permanent job.  Can you please clarify?

On 5/8/2017 at 6:36 PM, kvnsk said:

Supplement form J --> Part 6  and 6 point ( Is this a permanent position?). Does the offer needs to be permanent position?  My current job is full-time position, but not necessarily permanent job.  Can you please clarify?

In this regard, "permanent" means no established end date, such as a contract position. 

Archived