H1B Extn and H4 Extn applied together - H1B Extn applied/got approved in PP - H4 Extn applied in regular & is still pending

Hi,

My attorney has filed my H1b Extn along with my wife's H4 Extn on Mar 15th - H1b Extn was in Premium Processing - H4 was in regular processing.

My H1b Extn got approved on Mar 29th - But my wife's H4 Extn is still pending as it was filed in regular processing.

I have seen some entries in this forum where both h1b and h4 extns get approved at the same time or with a gap of 2 weeks.

Please share your thoughts on when can I expect my wife's H4 Extn to get approved. Does my case need any intervention from the attorney.

Thanks in advance for your input.

2 hours ago, wissnowman said:

Hi,

My attorney has filed my H1b Extn along with my wife's H4 Extn on Mar 15th - H1b Extn was in Premium Processing - H4 was in regular processing.

My H1b Extn got approved on Mar 29th - But my wife's H4 Extn is still pending as it was filed in regular processing.

I have seen some entries in this forum where both h1b and h4 extns get approved at the same time or with a gap of 2 weeks.

Please share your thoughts on when can I expect my wife's H4 Extn to get approved. Does my case need any intervention from the attorney.

Thanks in advance for your input.

My wife's H4 extn got approved in exactly after 2 weeks.  H1B got approval on 24th March.  H4 on 7th April.  Wait for 2 weeks.

I found the following content in USCIS website,

In addition and at no additional cost, USCIS will strive to provide faster processing of Form I-539 applications filed by dependents of the principal beneficiary of a petition for which Premium Processing Service has been requested if the Form I-539 is filed at the same time. USCIS provides this service as a courtesy. Consequently, it cannot guarantee faster processing of the Form I-539.

Based on the above it looks like H4 Extns are going to get processed longer than Premium processing timelines.

My H1B Extn and H4 Extn were applied together with single payment of premium processing to Nebraska Service Center.

Please share your H4 Extn approval timelines if your situation matches myn - It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

On 4/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, Vips1982 said:

My wife's H4 extn got approved in exactly after 2 weeks.  H1B got approval on 24th March.  H4 on 7th April.  Wait for 2 weeks.

Hi Vips1982,

Please let me know if you applied at Nebraska.

please let me know if the h4 extn I-539 case status was appearing as regular/premium when checked the status initially.

I found the following news update in Murthy.com,

NewsFlash! Processing Delays for H-4/EAD Applications Filed With H1B Premium Processing Cases

23 Mar 2017

The Nebraska Service Center (NSC) is taking longer than normal to adjudicate H-4 I-539 applications and I-765 applications for H-4 employment authorization documents (EADs) that are filed concurrently with H1B petitions for premium processing.

While there is no premium processing available for H-4 or EAD applications, if they are submitted concurrently with a corresponding I-129 H1B petition that includes a premium-processing request, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) typically will adjudicate the H-4 and EAD applications in an expedited manner. Because premium processing service for H1B petitions is being suspended temporarily, effective April 3, 2017, the NSC is being inundated with such requests before this deadline. To deal with the large number of cases, the NSC has indicated that it will first adjudicate the I-129 petitions, and then process the H-4 and EAD applications a week or two later.

The NSC expects to work through this backlog within the next several weeks. Applicants and attorneys who do not receive any notice on one of these H-4 or H-4 EAD applications by the end of April are advised to contact the USCIS National Customer Service Center.

California center, I applied H4 extension and H4 EAD along with H1B extension premium on March-26. H1B approved in a week, but h4 extension and H4 EAD are pending. I called CA PP customer support, but they advised me to send email. I am communicating to CA PP department by email. case is still pending. please update here if anyone have similar situation.

Here is USCIS Premium processing center email address: 
https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/article/can-i-contact-the-service-center-by-email-after-i-file-my-request-for-premium-processing

• 2 weeks later...

I am still waiting for my wife's h4 extension. Assuming that my I-539 is not getting any expedited processing due to the overload of work at Nebraska, I am now checking on timelines for regular processing of i539 in uscis website - but no luck as Nebraska center processing times isn't showing i539 in their list. I will post here if I see any changes or updates.

I am in the same situation. Application reached them on March 17th and got H1 approval on March 28th. Been waiting on H4 and EAD since. I am not too worried about EAD but with cops randomly asking for visa documents these days, not having an approved H4 by the time the current term expires could become bothersome. Something tells me they won't buy the 'I have a receipt for extension' explanation.

Subscribing to this post. Please do continue to post any updates regarding timelines. I will too.

Thanks

19 minutes ago, pontevecchio said:

Re Kewldee's post,

She can leave and return with the H4 visa. Only in certain border areas will the CBP ask for documents. Random law is not a fact of life here.

You seemed to have taken offense to my post. I don't want to digress or dilute this post so I will keep it very short. I am very well aware of what needs to be done if we don't get the extension on time. That wasn't my ask at all. And 'random' checks are happening. Random is by nature not a fact of life. 

Same thing here at Nebraska Premium Processing !! H4 went to a "Name was updated" status since May 1.

H1 Timeline
04/04/2017 - We received your request for premium-processing of your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, and mailed you a receipt notice.

04/05/2017 - We received your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, and mailed you a receipt notice. It is being processed at our Nebraska Service Center location.

04/10/2017 - We approved your Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.

H4 Timeline
03/27/2017 - We received your Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status.

05/01/2017 - On May 1, 2017, we updated your name for your Form I-539, Application to Extend or Change Nonimmigrant Status

Edited by vj_chan
format