Air travel inside US with B2 visa extension pending

sh2017

Hello. My parents are here in US since Sept 2016 and I applied for their visa extension on January 10th 2017. I have requested for a 5 month extension till July  27th, 2017. Their I-94 expired on February 27th, 2017. We received a letter from USCIS indicating acceptance of application, but the case is still under processing. I was wondering if they can travel inside the US by air when their case is still pending. Will the TSA agent stop them at the airport if they see that their I-94 has expired? Will carrying the USCIS receipt notice help them in case they are questioned by a TSA agent?

Could anyone provide your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, sh2017 said:

Hello. My parents are here in US since Sept 2016 and I applied for their visa extension on January 10th 2017. I have requested for a 5 month extension till July  27th, 2017. Their I-94 expired on February 27th, 2017. We received a letter from USCIS indicating acceptance of application, but the case is still under processing. I was wondering if they can travel inside the US by air when their case is still pending. Will the TSA agent stop them at the airport if they see that their I-94 has expired? Will carrying the USCIS receipt notice help them in case they are questioned by a TSA agent?

Could anyone provide your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

They can travel within the US. TSA does not check for I-94 for travel within the US. Best thing is to carry the receipt notice just in case anyone questions.

• 2 months later...

I agree with the previous poster. When travelling within US, airline agents and gate agents typically just check for proof of identity  (boarding pass and photo page of passport), and don't look at the visa page.

On a related note: I have applied for an extension for my in-laws in May, and was wondering how long it would take to get a decision from the USCIS. Can you share if you have got the approval yet, and if so, when ?

thanks in advance

Archived