H4 to F1 COS in India

spratt

Hello All,

My wife is pursuing her masters (on H4) and is currently in her 2nd Semester. We want to do COS from H4 to F1. Can we do the  COS by directly attending F1 Visa Interview in India? I couldn't find much details on this. Please advise if there are risks associated. We just wanted to avoid the 4-5 Months waiting time if we apply COS here.

Thanks in Advance!!

You seem to be a bit confused.

COS means Change Of Status. That by definition is only possible while in the US, since a person only has a status while in the US.

A person can get a visa from a US Consulate, and use that visa to enter the US in the status that corresponds to the visa (an F1 visa is used to enter into F1 status, for example.)

12 hours ago, spratt said:

Hello All,

My wife is pursuing her masters (on H4) and is currently in her 2nd Semester. We want to do COS from H4 to F1. Can we do the  COS by directly attending F1 Visa Interview in India? I couldn't find much details on this. Please advise if there are risks associated. We just wanted to avoid the 4-5 Months waiting time if we apply COS here.

Thanks in Advance!!

Yes. That is the best way to do it. You can avoid waiting time. You can inform DSO about it and get an updated I-20 and a travel letter. Also you need to inform DSO once you come back into the country.

Thanks Guys. If there is any issue with F1 stamping in India, will it impact her Current H4? Can we try COS in US after that, Any impacts?

Currently her H4 stamping is NOT done (due to recent extension). Should i first get H4 stamping done and later try for F1?

Archived