B2 visa for parents applying 2nd time

roy2017

Hi..

I am applying for B2 visa for my parents second time. First time it was rejected and a short summary is as follows - 

The first interview was on August 9,2016. My dad is retired state govt. employee and my mom housewife. They applied under self sponsorship. They showed more than INR20lac of bank balance and two properties on their name. I am the only child. I have been in US for almost 10 years, did MS, PhD and now working in R&D and my status is H1-B. At the time of application my I-797 was approved, but I did not have the H1B stamp as I did not travel outside US after I797 was approved (April 2016). Parents interview -

VO: Who do you want to visit? Parents: My son. ---VO: what does he do in USA? Do you have his documents? Parents: Yes, he did his MS and PhD there and now he works for xx company and here is copy of the visa (approved I797)---VO: No, no..not this document, give me a copy of his passport. Parents: Ok, here it is. ---(The VO looked at my passport which had only F1 visa stamps and arrival departure records, gave it to some other guy, discussed something and asked my parents to come to another window)---VO: What do you do? What is your monthly income. Parents (dad):  I am retired and RS.xxx is monthly pension.---VO: Sorry, you cannot get visa, here is 214(b) letter.

Now, preparing for the 2nd application - I have visited them couple of months back on Jan.2017 and got my H1-B visa stamp. I am also sponsoring them this time. My questions are 

1) What could have been the major reason they rejected the B2 visa first time?

2) What should I write in the "Explain" field for "Have you ever been refused an us visa?". I know I have to select "Yes".

3) What else I can do to make it a strong case for them?

Any help/suggestion is highly appreciated..

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...

Archived