Multiple J1 visas - Waiver case details

Karine

I'm on my second J1 visa and I didn't receive any type of scholarship for it so I came to the US with my own funds in December 2016. Before applying for this J1 visa (internship program to work at an American engineering company) my currently sponsor explained that it was unusual for interns to be subject to the 2 years home residence. Based on this information I took the risk of applying for a second J1 even having my wedding scheduled to march 2017 with my fiance that is a US citizen. Now I realized how my immigration situation got complicated since I can't apply for the green card how me and my husband planned because I'm subjected to the 212e rule again.

In addition I had my first J1 visa using a scholarship from the Brazilian Government back in June 2014-August 2015 to take engineering classes at the University of Miami. This specific scholarship requires the students to go back to Brazil and accomplish one year home residence before immigrating or studying abroad again. I lived in Brazil for one year and 4 months after finishing my first J1 program then I moved back to the US, with my second J1 visa that I mentioned above, in December 2016. The responsible by my scholarship produced documents proving that I already finished my home residence (1 year) and any other obligations with the Brazilian scholarship. The consulate of Brazil already confirmed that they will emit the no-objection letter as soon as I start my waiver application. My currently sponsor also provided a letter confirming that I never used any government financial support for my second J1. My employer can also produce a letter explaining that they will offer me a full time position if I waiver the 212 e rule and if I get the residence documents since my husband is a US citizen.

The responsible for my scholarship for my first J1 confirmed that they had students who successfully got the waiver after staying in Brazil for just one year (time required for Brazil) but they recommended me to look for an attorney support since my case involves one additional J1 visa. I couldn't find a lowyer who has experience with a case involving one J1 with scholarship and one without it. I tried to complete the DS3035 on my own to start the waiver application but they have questions as "did you have a scholarship?" what I can't answer with "yes/no" because I had both cases. 

I'm sorry for the long explanation, I really need to find someone with more informations about waivers involving multiple J1 visas andor confirm if the 9 months that I have left on my J1 is enough to receive the waiver and to get to the point of the green card process when I can get permission to stay legally at the US. One last concern is that I want to get the permission to travel to Brazil by march 2018 (1 year from now) to finish the 4 months that I have left on school there to receive my degree as an engineer. 

The waiver and green card process is our best option since I already have work/study experience at the US and my husband already has his own company here. It would be much more complicated for him to move to Brazil than for me to stay here. He already visited Brazil few times to see me but moving there is a change that he can't consider right now due to cultural and economic reasons. 

I really appreciate all information or attorney contacts. 

Archived