I94 expiring soon and Visa valid until 2018

SRI1973

My I-94 is expiring Mar'2017. I have visa valid until 2018 and Valid I-797 until 2018.  I know one of the way is to cross the border and re-enter into US.
My company attorney advised don't cross the border as location amendment is in progress and will get the new I-94  once the location amendment is approved.

Is it safe to wait for the location amendment approval ? Or Do I need to ask my employer to file H1-B extension? Also advise if would be allowed to apply for extension when H1-B location amendment is in progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I was in the same situation 10 days ago. Received renewed passport, I94 was going to expire in 4 days but having I797 validity till next year, went to Terminal E Logan Airport Boston MA, CBP window is there in the left side. Reached 8AM in the morning, a lady asked me to enter my name in the register. One officer came after 5 minutes and picked up my old and new passports and came back with extended I94 and passports in 5 minutes. No questions and documents asked. Later I verified online...it is updated and good. Hope this would help...All The Best. Thanks to Sudhakar Y who guided me to Boston. btw I live in Boston :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello kodramr

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is really helpful.

Question: I am in the same situation and my i-94 is expiring in June 2017, I went to CBP Terminal E Logan airport, same location as you mentioned above, but one of the officers said they do not process anything like that and also said that someone has given incorrect info.

So, I am just confused or in dilemma to whether go to Airport again or not?

Hi I was in the same situation 10 days ago. Received renewed passport, I94 was going to expire in 4 days but having I797 validity till next year, went to Terminal E Logan Airport Boston MA, CBP window is there in the left side. Reached 8AM in the morning, a lady asked me to enter my name in the register. One officer came after 5 minutes and picked up my old and new passports and came back with extended I94 and passports in 5 minutes. No questions and documents asked. Later I verified online...it is updated and good. Hope this would help...All The Best. Thanks to Sudhakar Y who guided me to Boston. btw I live in Boston :)

The general policy by CBP is to not issue an extended I94 in such cases. A few have got lucky because of ignorance by CBP Officers. It is not going to happen for most people. The solution is to always let your employer know about such matters as they may choose to refile a H1 petition for you or ask you to leave and return with the new passport and existing petition.

Archived