U.S. Citizenship

Attorney_23

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding eligibility for U.S. citizenship, the application process, and related issues.    

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

I had posted this on the Citizenship thread but have repeated it here for your response:

I live in California and I send in my N400 application and just got the FBI finger printing done. In the N400 I had requested a name change but I just learned that this region does not do the oath ceremony at a court so I cannot get a name change as part of the naturalization process. During the bio metrics exam I spoke to the immigration officer at the center and was advised to do the name change through the court. I did and I see a few scenarios:

The court approves the name change before my interview then  I bring the decree to the interview and have my naturalization certificate issued with the new name? Would this be accepted and a naturalization certificate issued with the new name?

The interview happens before the court approves the name change then do I petition USCIS for a name change on my naturalization certificate? Is that possible?

If I have the court approval for name change and no interview date in sight. Now do I change this with social security, drivers license and banks etc. Then do I send the court document as an addendum to my application to the immigration department (the same address in Phoenix that I sent my original N400 to) so it gets processed with my N400. Also, since my green card expires in 3 years (and I hope to get my citizenship by then) do I file for a green card replacement with the new name which could be a waste of money and some paper work. If I don't can I travel with the green card that's valid but with the old name?

What options do I have now since I have filed my N400 and moved the court for a name change?

Thanks

NV

I filled my Citizenship application in November and Did my Finger printing on December 5th (San Jose, CA). My online status still says Finger printing notice sent to you. Is there a way to find out 

a) What is the current Status of my application?

b) How long it takes now a days to get interview letter after Finger printing ?

On 3/3/2017 at 8:14 PM, nzv said:

I had posted this on the Citizenship thread but have repeated it here for your response:

I live in California and I send in my N400 application and just got the FBI finger printing done. In the N400 I had requested a name change but I just learned that this region does not do the oath ceremony at a court so I cannot get a name change as part of the naturalization process. During the bio metrics exam I spoke to the immigration officer at the center and was advised to do the name change through the court. I did and I see a few scenarios:

The court approves the name change before my interview then  I bring the decree to the interview and have my naturalization certificate issued with the new name? Would this be accepted and a naturalization certificate issued with the new name?

The interview happens before the court approves the name change then do I petition USCIS for a name change on my naturalization certificate? Is that possible?

If I have the court approval for name change and no interview date in sight. Now do I change this with social security, drivers license and banks etc. Then do I send the court document as an addendum to my application to the immigration department (the same address in Phoenix that I sent my original N400 to) so it gets processed with my N400. Also, since my green card expires in 3 years (and I hope to get my citizenship by then) do I file for a green card replacement with the new name which could be a waste of money and some paper work. If I don't can I travel with the green card that's valid but with the old name?

What options do I have now since I have filed my N400 and moved the court for a name change?

Thanks

NV

Your situation and the potential options are better suited for a conversation with an experienced attorney. If you would like to discuss this matter with one of our attorneys, feel free to call our office and schedule a mutually convenient time to speak. 

On 3/7/2017 at 5:13 PM, Jerry_77 said:

I filled my Citizenship application in November and Did my Finger printing on December 5th (San Jose, CA). My online status still says Finger printing notice sent to you. Is there a way to find out 

a) What is the current Status of my application?

b) How long it takes now a days to get interview letter after Finger printing ?

USCIS online case status is not very detailed. You can call the USCIS customer service number, or make an infopass appointment to inquire, however the representatives access to current information will also be limited. You can however, check USCIS processing times for your local office at: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

Archived