J1 waiver and passport renewal

chaitea

30 minutes ago, chaitea said:

Hello everyone!

I am currently in process of applying for J1 Waiver (NORI)  and also renewing my passport (expiring in 6 months). Should I wait to get my new passport and then apply for NORI or can I do both at the same time ? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Also I was wondering if someone can help me. My DS2019 says i'm subject to HRR but my passport says 212(e) does not apply. which one takes precedence ?

7 hours ago, chaitea said:

Also I was wondering if someone can help me. My DS2019 says i'm subject to HRR but my passport says 212(e) does not apply. which one takes precedence ?

well...sometimes consulates make mistakes. Usually if your DS2019 states that you are subject then you actually are. You can eventually ask for advisory opinion but honestly it's just a waste of time. At the J1 waiver division officers are dumb and basically they just check just your ds2019 and your visa so you will probably receive a letter stating that you are subject and you'll end up wasting more than a month. I am not a lawyer but if you need the waiver to get a visa or GC  would you risk to get it denied for the HRR? Plus I know that for indians it takes a huge amount of time to get the waiver. I am from Europe, usually it's easy for europeans to get it but I sent everything in September and I am still waiting ( I only got favorable recommendation from dos 2 weeks ago). 

• 2 years later...