Visa approved and then 221g assigned

garry2361323

I had my H1b visa interview yesterday in Mumbai.

VO asked below questions:

1) Which company are you joining?
2) What you'll be doing? roles and responsibility
3) Salary?

No docs asked apart from I797

Then VO switched questions to my wife

1) Love or arrange marriage?
2) When did you got married?
3) Have kids?
4) Why did you married him?
5) How many people came in weeding?
6) Asked to show wedding album.

The VO was very friendly, she was asking all questions with smile. Our nervousness and anxiety went away the moment interview started.

And then she said "Your visa is approved"

Now, today everything changed suddenly  !

Got call from VO and she said that we are returning back your passports with 221g slip. We need further info on your application, till then you have to provide us two documents i.e. offer letter and detailed project description.

I have searched everywhere and couldn't find someone gone through same experience as mine !

15 hours ago, garry2361323 said:

Yes it's my first h1b...it's FTE with a small company and would be working on inhouse project. Will that be an issue and reason behind 221g?

You said its small company.. what does it do.. is it any desi consultancy, implementation partner, or any IT services rendering company ( fancy name for consultancy).. some time for this companies when you say in-house project that might raise some red flag and they want to dig in further...

5 hours ago, gopalakrishnach said:

You said its small company.. what does it do.. is it any desi consultancy, implementation partner, or any IT services rendering company ( fancy name for consultancy).. some time for this companies when you say in-house project that might raise some red flag and they want to dig in further...

Yes it's a desi consultancy and an implementation partner. I would be working for one of their partner product development.

10 hours ago, garry2361323 said:

Yes it's a desi consultancy and an implementation partner. I would be working for one of their partner product development.

I am not being against desi consultancies.. but when you say any in-house project for desi consultancy and even though it is Implementation partner you can expect USCIS wants to check it out further... as I said VO might not check it out during interview but certainly it will raise a flag and they want to thoroughly check it out. Donot worry if everything  is fine from your and your employer end and he can prove a valid in-house project that you are working on then you will get your stamping.. it will take sometime...

Moreover when you say .. I would be working for one of their partner product development.. then  you will be working for client/their partner.. it will not be in-house project... Thats where they might be looking into...

9 hours ago, gopalakrishnach said:

I am not being against desi consultancies.. but when you say any in-house project for desi consultancy and even though it is Implementation partner you can expect USCIS wants to check it out further... as I said VO might not check it out during interview but certainly it will raise a flag and they want to thoroughly check it out. Donot worry if everything  is fine from your and your employer end and he can prove a valid in-house project that you are working on then you will get your stamping.. it will take sometime...

Moreover when you say .. I would be working for one of their partner product development.. then  you will be working for client/their partner.. it will not be in-house project... Thats where they might be looking into...

Yes you may be correct, VO might have realised all this after she said Visa is approved. Although she called me to inform about 221g and provide pending docs, does that mean only i can share that info or my employer can pitch in and mail them the required docs? What is appropriate here?

17 hours ago, garry2361323 said:

Yes you may be correct, VO might have realised all this after she said Visa is approved. Although she called me to inform about 221g and provide pending docs, does that mean only i can share that info or my employer can pitch in and mail them the required docs? What is appropriate here?

It depends on what documents they asked you to submit. I feel you have to gather all the documents and you need to submit them. If you submit few documents and your employer submits few documents seperately it might create confusion. If VO asked you to submit the documents.. gather all documents and submit all at once by you...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 11:08 PM, garry2361323 said:

I had my H1b visa interview yesterday in Mumbai.

VO asked below questions:

1) Which company are you joining?
2) What you'll be doing? roles and responsibility
3) Salary?

No docs asked apart from I797

Then VO switched questions to my wife

1) Love or arrange marriage?
2) When did you got married?
3) Have kids?
4) Why did you married him?
5) How many people came in weeding?
6) Asked to show wedding album.

The VO was very friendly, she was asking all questions with smile. Our nervousness and anxiety went away the moment interview started.

And then she said "Your visa is approved"

Now, today everything changed suddenly  !

Got call from VO and she said that we are returning back your passports with 221g slip. We need further info on your application, till then you have to provide us two documents i.e. offer letter and detailed project description.

I have searched everywhere and couldn't find someone gone through same experience as mine !

Hi Garry,

Any update u got after submission of documents? I am in same boat..

Archived