Maintaining Green Card

rayna157

I got my green card sometime mid 2015 throug the employment based green card process. This means I have roughly have about 3.5 years to go before I am eligible to apply for citizenship. I am engaged to a Canadian citizen who currently works and lives in Canada. A few questions below given the details above.

·        My fiancé and I plan to get married this year. He would like to apply for my Canadian residency. Would a concurrent Canadian permanent residency application hamper me maintaining my green card while still living in the states.

·        My fiancé also plans to move to the states if that makes more sense for the both of us. How soon can I apply for his green card process? How soon would he be allowed to work in the states legally?

·        If for some reason we decide to live in Canada, what would be the best way to maintain my green card at the same time?

·        Also if I did move to Canada could I work there without hampering my green card process?

You can't have a US GC and Canadian Permanent Residency at the same time.
 It would result in losing the US GC, because for the US GC, you have to live in the US, which is incompatible with having permanent residency somewhere else.

Archived