Newborn in USA for Indian Parents - Clarification Requested

Aritra

Hi All,

I am an Indian citizen staying in NY in H1 B visa along with my spouse (H4).
We are expecting our 1st baby in Feb 2017 in USA and we have few questions on our newborn baby's citizenship. Please guide -

1) If I apply US PP and OCI/PIO card for my kid, he/she can travel to India any point of time but if he/she wants to renounce his/her US PP after 18yrs age and wants to avail Indian PP, whether he/she can return to US with any student/work visa (e.g. in F1, H1 or L1)?

2) If I apply US PP and OCI/PIO card for my kid, he/she can travel to India any point of time but whether the cost of studying in India is a big difference than normal Indian kids? Also, whether he/she can apply for any bank loan etc. there?

3) If I apply Indian PP for my kid, whether he/she can come back with me in the US with H4 visa later? Whether USCIS would issue him/her a H4 visa as he’s/she's having Indian PP though was born in USA? Also after 18 years of his/her age whether he/she can return to US with any student/work visa (e.g. in F1, H1 or L1)?

4) If I get Green Card where my kid is having Indian PP whether he/she can stay with me in USA and later he/she can avail F1, H1 or L1 visa?

Regards,
Aritra

• 4 weeks later...

A child born in the US is a US citizen. The child can not get a US visa, nor does the child need one. The child needs a US passport to travel to the US.

At age 18, the child can, in his or her own free will, give up US citizenship. If the child does that, and later wants to travel to the US, the person would have to qualify for a US visa like everybody else.

Archived